Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
My kid's carbon mtb weights more than 2 of my steel mtbs and one of my AL mtbs do.

There's a lot more to weight than frame material.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
And there's a lot more to frame quality and characteristics than frame material.

A stiff, strong, smooth riding frame is nice no matter what the material, the fact that mine is only about 1,000 grams is a bonus. Aside from the cost carbon is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Guy I work with has a steel Waterford. The bike is the lightest I have ever felt.

I come from a bmx background so 4130 was always the best choice. When I got my first mtb it was aluminum and to be honest, I was a pretty hesitant on it for a long time.

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
I've never ridden carbon, and probably never will. I will never need that light of a bike.
That’s like saying, “I will never need food that delicious therefore I won’t even try it” or “I will never need that beautiful of a view therefore I won’t even look.”

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
That’s like saying, “I will never need food that delicious therefore I won’t even try it” or “I will never need that beautiful of a view therefore I won’t even look.”
lol - I didn't say I wouldn't try it, but between cost and the fact I don't race, I don't see the need for my personal use. Plus I love steel, so no need to change that. :)

·
Snow Dog
3,773 Posts
I just remember test riding aluminum bikes, and feeling like I was not connected to the ground the way I am with steel...it felt sort of impersonal I guess...

and like stixxs, I grew up on BMX 4130 for so long that I just can't get past the feel of steel on all fronts.

I haven't tried carbon for the same reasons that jcd46 mentioned. i do know - and this has NOTHING to do with bikes I am sure - that I hate the carbon fiber hockey sticks that are out now because they are too light, and have no substance to them in my hands. I can only assume that in some ways, that is how a carbon bike would feel to me....

do they even make a carbon MTB that would be rigid? <- I don't know cause I never live in that world...
give me steel for bikes, and good old lumber for hockey sticks!!

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
No, that's like saying "I am sure a $10,000 bottle of champagne is lovely, but I'll probably never drink any." Some people who can't pull massive sums of money out of their ass are OK with not taking out a loan to afford a bicycle made from expensive, environmentally intensive materials.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Steel might be "heavy" but you don't need as much of it. If it were up to me, there would be no such thing as an aluminum bicycle.
Better tubing helps these days, but 30 years ago it was near impossible to build a steel road bike that was as stiff as a Klein aluminum. Stiff wasn’t for everybody, but for a Clyde like me, the ride of the Klein’s I owned were superior to anything I’ve owned, steel, titanium, until the current carbon I ride. The Klein’s were as good an aluminum as you could get and a great riding bike.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,064 Posts
I think the point is that the only reason people say steel is real is that it does rhyme. Steel isn't any more 'real' than any other bicycle frame material. It's just one of a number of reasonable options.
Holy crap Pig. It’s not that other materials aren’t real it’s just that steel is real steel, jeez!

·
Cycologist
7,539 Posts
Steel's the real deal?

Steel has lots of appeal?

Steel's what I wanna wheel?

Steel is real – ly a great riding bike frame material.

·
Snow Dog
3,773 Posts
golly I like 4130 Chromoly

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just remember test riding aluminum bikes, and feeling like I was not connected to the ground the way I am with steel...it felt sort of impersonal I guess...

and like stixxs, I grew up on BMX 4130 for so long that I just can't get past the feel of steel on all fronts.

I haven't tried carbon for the same reasons that jcd46 mentioned. i do know - and this has NOTHING to do with bikes I am sure - that I hate the carbon fiber hockey sticks that are out now because they are too light, and have no substance to them in my hands. I can only assume that in some ways, that is how a carbon bike would feel to me....

do they even make a carbon MTB that would be rigid? <- I don't know cause I never live in that world...
give me steel for bikes, and good old lumber for hockey sticks!!
Funny you mentioned hockey sticks. I play hockey and have used wood and todays composite sticks. In the 90's the even made them from aluminum but that trend didn't stick around.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I hate the carbon fiber hockey sticks that are out now because they are too light, and have no substance to them in my hands. I can only assume that in some ways, that is how a carbon bike would feel to me....

do they even make a carbon MTB that would be rigid?

I've never heard of anyone complaining about their bike being too light but I suppose maybe it's happened.

Do you mean a rigid bike as in no suspension? Plenty of those, and carbon frames can be built to be supremely stiff/ rigid.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts