Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
2,619 Posts
I'm going to throw Chromag out there. Especially the Mike Truelove Primer.

Chromag Bikes - Chromag Primer 29" / 27.5"

Maybe not quite as boutique-y as some of the other super niche companies, but that Primer is a bike I would love to own.
I picked up a Chromag Surface a couple seasons ago and it is a beautifully made bike. Not to mention it absolutely rips on the trails.

·
No known cure
4,258 Posts
Here's my steel HT, Ribbon 140 up front.

IMG_20181214_230404_206 by Nate, on Flickr

Next step in the build is to get these assembled. Taking a wheelbuilding class in a week and a half.

0226191747~2 by Nate, on Flickr
Nice. Is the Ribbon coil or air? I may go with MRP coil front and rear on my GG when I order it, or Rock Shox on each end tuned by Vorsprung or Avy.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
Nice. Is the Ribbon coil or air? I may go with MRP coil front and rear on my GG when I order it, or Rock Shox on each end tuned by Vorsprung or Avy.
Easy way to tell is that coil doesn't have a Ramp Control top cap (it's at the bottom of the leg).

I'm optimistic seeing the open cartridge styles of dampers, like the GRIP and PCS (like Ava in a way, minus the fancy internals like hydraulic bottom out). Also optimistic seeing the new trend of air springs becoming even more coil-like air springs, like the 19 debonair, and the luftkappe upgrades for fox and '14-18 rockshox. At least for my desires/values...

I was considering coil, reasoning with myself to not really care about weight, but think I'm fine on air considering how far they've come. Not really an expense I'm too willing to make; more of a curiosity to me at this point.

·
No known cure
4,258 Posts
Easy way to tell is that coil doesn't have a Ramp Control top cap (it's at the bottom of the leg).

I'm optimistic seeing the open cartridge styles of dampers, like the GRIP and PCS (like Ava in a way, minus the fancy internals like hydraulic bottom out). Also optimistic seeing the new trend of air springs becoming even more coil-like air springs, like the 19 debonair, and the luftkappe upgrades for fox and '14-18 rockshox. At least for my desires/values...

I was considering coil, reasoning with myself to not really care about weight, but think I'm fine on air considering how far they've come. Not really an expense I'm too willing to make; more of a curiosity to me at this point.
I've been on coil front and rear since 97. I've never owned a air shock, or fork. Back then shocks sucked until RCR(Romic), then Push modded Fox Vanillas, then Avy. Later on I tried Push's DHX with the MX tune which was krap, then the CCDB. For forks, it was always Marzocchi, experimenting with oil heights and weights, and mixing and matching springs. Then came Zoke's RC3 Ti series(I was hoping the new Z1 was going to be this). If these new fork offerings feel like that fork, I'll be a happy man. All the new coil forks look very clean in execution and I'm excited.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,441 Posts
Mine is air. Chosen based on conversations with MRP staff about my intent for the bike.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,282 Posts
If you do get a steel bike, please don't go around saying, "Steel is real! Steel is real!" Those people are obnoxious.
Steel is not fake, it is real, I bought a steel bike just so I can use that phrase and I won't let you take that away from me.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I have a Ribbon coil on my GG and it is beyond awesome. It just eats up the chunk like it's not even there.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
To me riding steel has a different feeling to it. Not harsh like you feel with some aluminum frames but more of a "warmth" that is somewhat hard to explain. Never had any hand fatigue or anything like that when I rode my old steel hardtail but that was more XC oriented (80-100mm front geo) so when I started riding more aggressive terrain I quickly found the limits of the bike. Now she has been turned into a gravel grinder/commuter bike but still a blast to ride.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts