Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Surly Pacer and Transition Spur for my personal riding needs. Now that I'm a dad I'm looking for something that I can pull my kid around on bike paths and dirt roads.

The pacer would do fine but I want something a bit more upright, a bit more MTB ergo than the pacer's road bike feel.

My wife has a Bridge Club and I like the ergo of something like that. I've got a great set of 29er wheels collecting dust so would love to use those in this build. Thinking about ordering an ogre frame, but I've read it's heavy. Niner seems to have some nice steel frames too.

I'd test ride it first....but it's 2021 and that will never happen.

Anyone in a similar boat? Any recs? Thanks!

·
Chicken Master
79 Posts
I have a Surly Pacer and Transition Spur for my personal riding needs. Now that I'm a dad I'm looking for something that I can pull my kid around on bike paths and dirt roads.

The pacer would do fine but I want something a bit more upright, a bit more MTB ergo than the pacer's road bike feel.

My wife has a Bridge Club and I like the ergo of something like that. I've got a great set of 29er wheels collecting dust so would love to use those in this build. Thinking about ordering an ogre frame, but I've read it's heavy. Niner seems to have some nice steel frames too.

I'd test ride it first....but it's 2021 and that will never happen.

Anyone in a similar boat? Any recs? Thanks!
For what you are wanting to do with the bike, the weight would be largely irrelevant anyway.

The item on the Ogre that would comparatively be contributing the most to the "heavy" label, would be the steel fork, as a Niner bike with a steel frame likely comes with a carbon fork.

The Ogre wouldn't be much heavier than the Bridge Club and might not even be heavier than the Bridge Club.

·
rth009
926 Posts
The ogre is a boat anchor . . . but its also perfect for your desired use. Mine was a kid trailer hauler, then a trail-a-bike tower, and has always been a great townie. Debadge it and put a torn up seat on it and you can lock it up and thieves wont even know its worth stealing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

Boat anchor does have me scared! But maybe it's the best option. Any lighter options I should be thinking about? I looked at Soma but they are totally sold out right now.

I have always liked surly, even when heavy than other bikes because they have always been a joy to ride. They have that je ne sais quoi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts