Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I expect upgrade my disc hub with stainless steel shell drive ,I can mix steel shell with alloy spider like Sram pg 980 or better mouny stell only like pg 970 casette. also Sram casette = Sram chain or I can mount Shimano -Sram mix.
thank´s

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I have a few Kings with aluminum shells and the loose cogs (i.e. the ones not part of the spider on a given cassette) do dig in but it's not a big deal unless you run a cassette composed entirely of loose cogs. Some day I'll install the steel drive shell I've got waiting, but no need in several years of use otherwise. Use whatever combo of Shimano and SRAM chains and cassettes you want...

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Only really need to worry about alloy hubshells with steel cassettes. And it won't always be equal - depends on the level of the cassette, fit of the cassette, hub, amount of torque you create, etc.

Cassettes with a carrier (XT, XTR, and upper end SRAM) do less damage to an alloy hub shell. Lower end cassettes tend to be pinned together and are more likely to notch.

And alloy hub shells are not created equal. Some hold up much better than others. The only way to what works is to take note of what you are riding and if it inflicts damage.

If you're worried - Shimano has steel and Ti hubshells, King has a steel option, American Classic has a hybrid alloy/steel, think Hadley has a Ti shell option, and there might be a few others too.

JmZ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.