Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bike's hmmm nice
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had little steel washers that fitted between my 2008 LX cranks and the pedals. Sadly lost them in my car when I took the pedals off. LBS doesn't seem to have them. Now my new Enduro comes without pedals and without those little rings. But the grove to fit them seems to be in the crank. (don't know how to post pictures here to support this theory) Do I need them or is it OK to just screw the pedals agains the alu of the crank??

All confused here because the rings have been on multiple cranks I had before. And my truvative cranks even have a permanent steel insert....

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If the face of the pedal rests against aluminum and fits properly in the recess or flat area provided, and if the pedal has a thread relief (usually a slight groove) at the last thread against the face, then it's perfectly OK to screw them directly into your cranks. After all pedals were screwed into alloy cranks (w/o washers) for 40 years without problems. But it's important that all the conditions are met.

Often the reason for the washers is a lack of proper thread relief on the pedals. Otherwise They're are more important with carbon cranks where the pedal face would score the carbon.

·
Bike's hmmm nice
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see that it is not always needed to put a washer in between. But it's just that the shimano cranks have this little grove around the thread for that washer. If it would be a smooth crank face it would be clear.... I don't see any stores that carry them though. Tried 3 LBS's and several online shops...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
merijn101 said:
I see that it is not always needed to put a washer in between. But it's just that the shimano cranks have this little grove around the thread for that washer. If it would be a smooth crank face it would be clear.... I don't see any stores that carry them though. Tried 3 LBS's and several online shops...
Shimano uses the washer to protect their cranks from poorly made pedals. If your pedals have a smooth, well machined face and meet the other conditions in my prior post, don't sweat it.

If you really want the washers, you could continue riding this bike while you continue to look for them at your leisure, and install them later.

·
Bike's hmmm nice
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just looking to buy the Nuke Proof Neutron pedals for my new Endure, they should meet that standard. But I do have some cheapies to replace my klicky's on one of my hard tales for when my bro come's for a ride... I should get some for that bike... Hopefully I can find a set to replace the ones I lost.

I guess this answers my Q pretty decent, thanks!

·
Bike's hmmm nice
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks XSL! Sadly (?!) I'm in Euroland, so ordering in from Amazone is a hassle. I've been to 3 LBS's and checked my 3 regular I(nternet)BS's without any luck. I'll just push one LBS to order.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.