Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been designing and GTAW welding BMX frames. I have noticed that several frame manufacturers off some less expensive frames that use "Hi Ten" as well as a chromoly TT or some combination of those. My question: is it safe to make a prototype for a frame using mild steel for the dropouts? Is there such thing as a hi tensille steel plate or are these manufacturers using mild steel for their dropouts?_

(tired of waiting on the laser cut 4130 ones i have ordered)

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Yes

Mild steel will work fine for dropouts. I wouldn't use mild or hi-ten tubing if you wanted to actually ride/use the bike, but I guess it depends on what you mean by "prototype".

-Walt

mattty said:
I have recently been designing and GTAW welding BMX frames. I have noticed that several frame manufacturers off some less expensive frames that use "Hi Ten" as well as a chromoly TT or some combination of those. My question: is it safe to make a prototype for a frame using mild steel for the dropouts? Is there such thing as a hi tensille steel plate or are these manufacturers using mild steel for their dropouts?_

(tired of waiting on the laser cut 4130 ones i have ordered)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I have made the rest from 4130, but was just curious as to whether the weld bond would be weaker/ hazardous... i plan on trying taking the "prototype" to the skatepark and trails to see if my other welds hold up as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not good for dirt obviously, but ive been running them for years. Super fast rolling and probably the best choice for tire tappy stuff... an excellent street and park tire

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.