Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Framebuilder
435 Posts
joerazlifts said:
I would like some opions on who builds the best custom steel 29ers out there.
I do...................just kidding, of course:D
That's a very subjective question- it's really more a matter of you finding a builder who thinks like you do and has a style you dig.
That said, if were to pick from all the builders out there, I'd commission a Coconino.
Garro rules!

703 Posts
El Jefe

Waltworks. Superior, with respect to custom experience, build quality, and ride quality...in my experience with a few of the best builders. He deserves a call, at a minimum.

I do have a purely aesthetic lust for a coconino though.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Best? in terms of?

joerazlifts said:
I would like some opions on who builds the best custom steel 29ers out there.
Are you going to buy a frame? If not, then I'm not telling. :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Best for me

I used Stoiccyles to have a frame built and the best part for me was I got the frame three weeks early. That and the frame fits beautifully and Jay was very easy to work with and the frame looks really good. Mine is not all lugged and pretty but he has done several of those too. I would and likely will use him again in the next 6 months for a cross bike.

I have met Steve, seems like a stand up guy, and think you also cannot go wrong with him.

Depending on where you live I would guess you could find a couple of builders in your area that should suit your needs too. I would look local first then expand the search. Good luck, Ed

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Not sure if he's the best...but I'm really tempted by the Curtlo stuff, just plan and simple.

This or a Ventana El Padrino for me, but the Padrino is aluminum.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I personally would go with a Waltworks because I sorta like the Action-Tec fork. He does couplers. Steel is real. He seems to appreciate simplicity like I do, and offers a $100 discount if you get black. All my bikes are black except one.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Here's a plug for Jay and Jeremy Sycip of Sycip Designs. They are currently in the process of building me a MTB frame and fork as well as a CX/Touring hybrid frame and fork. I had a FS 29er Sycip Double Dribble built by Sycip, but it got stolen. These guys are so cool to work with and the quality of their work has me coming back for more.

I can't wait for my new custom frames. I'm itchin' to ride a Sycip again.

BFE

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
I'll throw another vote in for Ted Wojcik - especially if you are on the east coast, and even moreso if you are in New England.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts