Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
dug out the old '98 'hopper, very lightly ridden and still in perfect condition. decided to dress her up a bit, tossed on a Marzocchi Z2 Atom Race, Avid levers, Mavic 517/XT hubs/Fire XC rubber, BG2 saddle, everything else is stock LX.

man do i love the old nitanium steelies, lean and mean. i dont think i'll ever be able to give her up...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've had three aluminum bikes now but I have a soft spot for relatively light weight steel bikes. I have two KHS bikes that, with a few light weight bits, are as light weight as my aluminum Giant Yukon or Trek 820.

Nice looking bike. I bought a Specialized Rock Hopper on eBay for $1 (I can show you the listing!) and resold it for $225... It looked exactly like yours except for the fork. It was just a bit too big for me or I probably would have kept it as a back up to my back up.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the kind words. granted she is about as cheap as you can get parts wise, but she gets the job done and looks purty enough for me.

now just need to decide if i should try an SS conversion, i dont think she likes the gears too much...

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

I actually just picked up a '99 Brodie Quantum steel HT. At first I thought to myself "wtf is wrong with me?!?!??!!?!" but looking at it more and more i'm actually excited to be building it up. If not for the wierd looking frame size (sorry, nothing cool about a 20" frame) then at least the red metallic paint.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I rode a steel bike. Maybe 15 years ago? No, more than that. I hope the HT part doesn't bother my back too much. (fingers crossed) :skep:

Just curious - is it a natural finish or painted?

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
I got the same frame...

But smallr in size and build completely different for different typw of riding.
When I first got it, I rode it xc... then i got into more dj'ing so i built it for dj. now I built it up for my wife to us to pull her trailer/commuter rig.
It will never leave my hands because it is one awesome frame.

Not the greatest pic but gives you an idea... the sterm was replaced to a shorter one also.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sgltrak said:
They like it when you do that. My '97 Team Marin:
I remember seeing yours in the big SS thread, very sweet!

RideFaster said:
Nice bike! I have a sesy steel Marin and love it, I hope to never part with her. What fork you got on that Spec? Very nice :thumbsup:
Yea I really like the Marins too, I'm may just end up using one for my SS project =)

Fork is a Marzocchi Z2 Atom Race 80mm also from the late 90's, very plush!

AndrewTO said:
Thanks for sharing!

I actually just picked up a '99 Brodie Quantum steel HT. At first I thought to myself "wtf is wrong with me?!?!??!!?!" but looking at it more and more i'm actually excited to be building it up. If not for the wierd looking frame size (sorry, nothing cool about a 20" frame) then at least the red metallic paint.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I rode a steel bike. Maybe 15 years ago? No, more than that. I hope the HT part doesn't bother my back too much. (fingers crossed) :skep:

Just curious - is it a natural finish or painted?
Sound like a fun project, do post pics when she is done!

Finish is natural brushed, my fav =)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Nice ride Sal. I just got back from visiting my parents and rode my OLD steel Novarra Ponderosa (REI f/ way back); Tange steel, and still in great shape. It has a 1" head tube. Think I'd have trouble finding a suss fork for it? I wouldn't mind building her up, just as a project to keep me busy, but I'm not into the rigid thing.

·
slow
7,686 Posts
While I spend some time on my SS Marin in my post above, this '93 Paramount Team is the steel bike I really like. It still gets a significant amount of my ride time. Running original Ritchey fork on it now, but sometimes run a vintage AMP F-3 on it. This is the 4th steel lugged frame I've had, and really enjoyed them all. I have never owned an aluminum bike, nor a full susser.

Attachments

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
salimoneus said:
dug out the old '98 'hopper, very lightly ridden and still in perfect condition. decided to dress her up a bit, tossed on a Marzocchi Z2 Atom Race, Avid levers, Mavic 517/XT hubs/Fire XC rubber, BG2 saddle, everything else is stock LX.

man do i love the old nitanium steelies, lean and mean. i dont think i'll ever be able to give her up...

Interesting, my wife has a '98 Rockhopper - Ritchey Nitanium as well. I'll see if I can dig out a pic of it.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Hooray for budget Steel bikes where would we be with out them? Heres my $45 Nashbar steel frame build up:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.