Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get back in to racing this up coming season. Started doing triathlons last year and would really, like to do an Xterra this year. Back in the day I raced a Merlin and the a Santa Cruz Blur.
Think I want to stick with 26" wheels. Looking for a steel hardtail. My first choice was a Kona Explossif. But LBS can't get one. What are some other steel choices with out breaking the bank?

·
Registered
457 Posts
According to their website a 18" frame is 4.48lb so it's not going to be the lightest frame you'll ever ride but but it feels great and the extra weight means extra durability. My modest build came in around 23lb and with lighter tires and wheel could be a pound or two lighter and still be plenty strong.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
If you can find an old Fat Chance, nothing rides like a Fat.

With mid 90s vintage XTR on my Yo Eddy it weighs in at a little over 26 # and with a lighter new group, fork and wheels I'm sure you could knock a pound or two off that.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
zrm said:
If you can find an old Fat Chance, nothing rides like a Fat.

With mid 90s vintage XTR on my Yo Eddy it weighs in at a little over 26 # and with a lighter new group, fork and wheels I'm sure you could knock a pound or two off that.
I almost bought a Fat back in the day. I went with a Merlin instead. If the Merlin had a 1 1/8 headtube I never would have sold it. Saw a couple of Schwinn Homegrowns on Ebay. Iknow they aren't steel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.