Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Steel frames with no wait?

2K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Mattman 
#1 · (Edited)
At this moment, I am leaning towards getting a steel frame on the not expensive side (ie, < $1000) to replace the Surly. In addition, I want an EBB. I decided to probably not cannabalize my XC FS rig (at least today :rolleyes: ) but instead, replace my Surly frame and slowly get it to where I want.

The question I have is "are there any builders meeting this criteria that have already-made frames?". I do not need a custom build and would be happy with virtually any color, etc....just as long as it meets my criteria.

If anybody could let me know if any builder do in fact have non-custom sized/painted frames I would be very appreciative.

Cheers

#5 ·
#6 ·
#8 ·
FoShizzle said:
yeah thanks....I emailed On-one but it sounds like they no longer have it according to your post, although they have a link on their site which speaks to it ?
On-One still has the info page on the steel EBB but all the frames are out of stock. It was discussed before that they were stopping production in favor of a sliding dropout design, yet to be seen.

Zilla - I like your sig.!

#9 ·
Hey Foshizzle...Why don't you just order a Curtlo, Wily, WaltWorks, Spicer, or Vulture, etc.. and ride the SURLY for a few more months??? The 1x1 rides really nice for a production frame. Personally, I wouldn't spend between $500-$1000 on a production SS frame when you could spend that much on nice custom frame that is made just for YOU. Just seems silly to me, but then again, what the heck do I know :D

#10 ·
call the builders

I'd try calling or emailing the builders listed in the FAQ and see if anyone's flaked on their order. Can't hurt if you want something unique and specific. They might just have a frame that they don't know what to do with now, hopefully in your size. Just a thought...

good luck!

#11 ·
2farfwd said:
Hey Foshizzle...Why don't you just order a Curtlo, Wily, WaltWorks, Spicer, or Vulture, etc.. and ride the SURLY for a few more months??? The 1x1 rides really nice for a production frame. Personally, I wouldn't spend between $500-$1000 on a production SS frame when you could spend that much on nice custom frame that is made just for YOU. Just seems silly to me, but then again, what the heck do I know :D
well, I can almost guarantee you know more than me :)

i just have bad case of upgradeitis that is pretty much constantly infecting my wallet....but you are probably right.

regardless, I will keep researching. just seems like so many more builders than I had orginally thought which is good, but I get overwhelmed easy which is why I like In n Out burger so much.

cheers

#12 ·
Hollywood said:
I'd try calling or emailing the builders listed in the FAQ and see if anyone's flaked on their order. Can't hurt if you want something unique and specific. They might just have a frame that they don't know what to do with now, hopefully in your size. Just a thought...

good luck!
interesting idea.....I may try it.

Each time I read this site, I get even more overwhelmed.......for example, I just looked at the Spicer site and there is a Ti SS for under $900 with a claimed 3-4 week wait......in the absence of having a chance to ride one, how do you guys sort through all these builders with many of them sounding so great?

#13 ·
FoShizzle said:
well, I can almost guarantee you know more than me :)

i just have bad case of upgradeitis that is pretty much constantly infecting my wallet....but you are probably right.

regardless, I will keep researching. just seems like so many more builders than I had orginally thought which is good, but I get overwhelmed easy which is why I like In n Out burger so much.

cheers
Well, I suffer from the same disease as you. However, I call it "obsessivecompulsiveinstantgratificationupgradeitis" and oh yeah it hurts sometimes! At least you do your research though and seek the opinion of others. I enjoy reading your posts and living vicariously through you and your disease and both my wallet and wife thank you! :p

I think Hollywood's suggestion was very good.

#15 ·
Get a Surly;)

Didn't you just do your first SS ride?
IMO learning more about SS riding with your current Surly and deciding what you like or don't like about it would really help in picking your next bike.
Since you are in the budget for a custom frame, why not get feedback from the Surly and give that to a builder. If you buy a frame off the rack you will likely be looking at custom for your next bike anyway.

Take your time and good luck.

FoShizzle said:
I like it too....I am going to call a bunch of the builders tomorrow accordingly. Cheers

#16 ·
steelbike said:
Didn't you just do your first SS ride?
IMO learning more about SS riding with your current Surly and deciding what you like or don't like about it would really help in picking your next bike.
Since you are in the budget for a custom frame, why not get feedback from the Surly and give that to a builder. If you buy a frame off the rack you will likely be looking at custom for your next bike anyway.

Take your time and good luck.
you are right, but that is far too logical for me :)

I have money burning a whole in my pocket and it needs a home......having said that, I plan on talking to some builders to get better persepective.

cheers

G
#18 ·
One more

Meds and Larges are in stock. Unfortunately mine include new hubs and a trick eccentric to feed your habit. All are powder coat, color choice is blue, blue, and I think I have some blue too. 1499.00
email me if interested.

Sorry for the spam.
Brent

#19 ·
For those not in the "know"...Brent is talking about

Brent said:
Meds and Larges are in stock. Unfortunately mine include new hubs and a trick eccentric to feed your habit. All are powder coat, color choice is blue, blue, and I think I have some blue too. 1499.00
email me if interested.

Sorry for the spam.
Brent
The Phil Wood PISSOFF frame (made by SyCip) with Phil hubs and EBB. Good deal.

#20 ·
FoShizzle said:
At this moment, I am leaning towards getting a steel frame on the not expensive side (ie, < $1000) to replace the Surly. In addition, I want an EBB. I decided to probably not cannabalize my XC FS rig (at least today :rolleyes: ) but instead, replace my Surly frame and slowly get it to where I want.

The question I have is "are there any builders meeting this criteria that have already-made frames?". I do not need a custom build and would be happy with virtually any color, etc....just as long as it meets my criteria.

If anybody could let me know if any builder do in fact have non-custom sized/painted frames I would be very appreciative.

Cheers
i suggest you sit back and chill and ride the surly. figure out exactly what you would like to change on it in terms of fit.

take the money you have set aside for this and put it in a separate bank account. think of it as a frame in the bank. i did this once and was VERY happy i held off. it saved me from having to switch a bunch of times.

but to answer your question... consider gunnar bikes. if you go with stock geo, they only take a week or two, and they now offer EBB and 29er. they have cool color of the month, or for 125 extra you can go totally nuts on the colors.

gunnarbikes.com

#22 ·
I second the motion

Don't dump the Surly. Ride and enjoy it.
When it breaks, then upgrade.

I'm on my second (1st one cracked at the FFF dimple on the chainstay).
I'm gona ride this one into the dirt.

The dichotomy of the King headset on the 1x1 frame...
It's the ultimate workingman's ride. Proletariat chic.

There. Feel better abt not having Ti?

jh_on_the_cape said:
i suggest you sit back and chill and ride the surly. figure out exactly what you would like to change on it in terms of fit.

take the money you have set aside for this and put it in a separate bank account. think of it as a frame in the bank. i did this once and was VERY happy i held off. it saved me from having to switch a bunch of times.

but to answer your question... consider gunnar bikes. if you go with stock geo, they only take a week or two, and they now offer EBB and 29er. they have cool color of the month, or for 125 extra you can go totally nuts on the colors.

gunnarbikes.com

#23 · (Edited)
Burpee said:
Don't dump the Surly. Ride and enjoy it.
When it breaks, then upgrade.

I'm on my second (1st one cracked at the FFF dimple on the chainstay).
I'm gona ride this one into the dirt.

The dichotomy of the King headset on the 1x1 frame...
It's the ultimate workingman's ride. Proletariat chic.

There. Feel better abt not having Ti?
How dare some of you suggest I do something logical (ie, wait and ride the Surly some more) !! I have been doing the illogical and/or wrong thing for 36 years and I am not about to break that streak :p

I hear yuh.......but as usual, I cannot control myself. I am of course no less confused from all of your great advice.

My list is now expanding instead of dwindling....it now (ie, 2:13 pm) looks like the following are my front-runners:
* Sycip Diesel
* Phil Kiss Off
* Dean Colonel
* Vulture Cycles
* Kish steel frame
* Ionic Johnny Rotten

Cheers

#24 ·
Well in that case...

What size is your Surly?
If it's a 20" and has disc mount, can I have it?
My frame no discie.

FoShizzle said:
How dare you some of you suggest I do something logical (ie, wait and ride the Surly some more) !! I have been doing the illogical and/or wrong thing for 36 years and I am not about to break that streak :p

I hear yuh.......but as usual, I cannot control myself. I am of course no less confused from all of your great advice.

My list is now expanding instead of dwindling....it now (ie, 2:13 pm) looks like the following are my front-runners:
* Sycip Diesel
* Phil Kiss Off
* Dean Colonel
* Vulture Cycles
* Kish steel frame
* Ionic Johnny Rotten

Cheers

#25 ·
Burpee said:
What size is your Surly?
If it's a 20" and has disc mount, can I have it?
My frame no discie.
My frame actually is a 20" with discs.....but if I go higher end SS frame I will be selling the complete Surly bike since I will then also sell of my Rocky Mountain Element stuff which will either move over the the new SS or fund its build.

#26 ·
FoShizzle said:
My frame actually is a 20" with discs.....but if I go higher end SS frame I will be selling the complete Surly bike since I will then also sell of my Rocky Mountain Element stuff which will either move over the the new SS or fund its build.
I vote that you sell the RM. You don't need a wimpy XC full suspension bike anyway. You can ride the new custom SS for XC, and then bust out the Ventana X5 when needed. There, problem solved.

That will be 2 cents please... :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.