Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm selling off my aluminum hardtail MTB in order to build up a steel rigid SS bike for 80% on-road commutes, 20% light XC trails.

Some time ago I got a cheap Zoom suspension seat post to replace the Cannondale rigid aluminum seat post to soften up things out back. Yes, it's heavier than the rigid, but it proved quite useful (even on the road with 1.5" slicks).

Since I have two perfectly usable seat posts, my question is, should I keep the Zoom, to be used for my upcoming steel SS project bike, and just sell the rigid alu together with my old bike? Or will this be considered a "sacrilege," and not keeping up with the true spirit [whatever that means] of the "steel is real" phenomenon? Will I be losing out on the true feel of steel if I use the suspension seat post? Or should I sell the Zoom with the old bike and keep the rigid alu for the new steel frame?

Opinions please...

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
If your butt was all that mattered for comfort we would never need full suspension bikes, only suspension seatposts.

My point is that only part of the feel of a bike is through the seat; a lot of the ride is felt through your legs and especially so on an ss where you will stand more often. IMHO you aren't ruining anything especially if it makes you enjoy the bike more. :thumbsup: I say its nothing different than buying a Ti seatpost if you had the cash (just less of those elitism points :p )

·
3,707 Posts
No way it's a sacriledge. It's steel back there, not a shock. If you think you need it, get it. Also, to complicate it a bit more for you, have you considered a cyclocross bike? It will probably do well on those light xc trails and on the road, it will be better. I'm looking at building up a Surly Cross Check this season.

·
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
p nut said:
No way it's a sacriledge. It's steel back there, not a shock. If you think you need it, get it. Also, to complicate it a bit more for you, have you considered a cyclocross bike? It will probably do well on those light xc trails and on the road, it will be better. I'm looking at building up a Surly Cross Check this season.
Thanks for chiming in.

I still prefer the more upright posture of a MTB, thanks.

·
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chumbox said:
If you love bling, then ditch the seatpost... if you love a long life free of back pain, keep it.
I like my bling every once in a while :p

But with this upcoming build, it's definitely function over fashion ;)

Thanks.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
r1Gel said:
I like my bling every once in a while :p

But with this upcoming build, it's definitely function over fashion ;)

Thanks.
How about form and function? I've been using suspension seatposts for 8 years, and no one has called by bike blingless..

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts