Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was researching truing stands and I dont know if I really want to sink money into a good stand before I know if wheel building is for me.

I do own a couple of good dial calipers with extensions, magnetic bases, etc. Could I clamp up a fork in my vise, set my dial calipers up on either side, and expect to successfully true a rim?

I realize I would need to attach the rear hub on the outside of the fork or muscle it wider in order to true it.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
No indicators needed...

I was researching truing stands and I dont know if I really want to sink money into a good stand before I know if wheel building is for me.

I do own a couple of good dial calipers with extensions, magnetic bases, etc. Could I clamp up a fork in my vise, set my dial calipers up on either side, and expect to successfully true a rim?

I realize I would need to attach the rear hub on the outside of the fork or muscle it wider in order to true it.
You can build fantastic wheels in a fork with your fingernail as a gauge... by "fantastic" I mean of much better build quality than even boutique, $1000 wheelsets.
I've done it many times.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I've built wheels on the bike back in my rim brake days...simply by using the barrel adjuster on the brake lever to bring the pads close.

I could laterally and radially true the wheel along with getting the proper dish. Since you were posting about rim brake compatible rims...you have this option too.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Hmmm I built wheels for about 45 years using my bike frame & fork with thumb, screwdriver or brake pad as a gauge so you can certainly use what you have in mind. Then I started using an old fork clamped in the vise and that worked fine too (of course) - it's shown on my site. Sure you can use your dial calipers but that's just complicating the matter - especially for a Newb. I'd say just use the fork and your thumb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.