Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a steel disc fork on their Crosscheck? I would like to have some extra braking power, especially for wet condtions.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've got a steel Dimension cross fork on mine. The geometry is exactly the same as the stock fork. It's cheap, it's heavy, and it is loads of fun.

I can stand it on end with little effort. But that can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. Road bike tires will break loose way earlier than mountain bike tires. So you have to use a light touch.

The real reason that I went with a disc brake up front was so I could swap front wheels between my mountain bikes and cross bike. I'm not sure why I wanted to do that, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
And the Dimension fork definitely looks like it is made in the same factory as the Surly. It's probably a CC fork with a disc tab.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I used a Kona P2 700c disc only fork on mine for ages. It's exactly the same dimensions (a to c and offset) so doesn't change the handling, other than not being so noodle like as the CC fork.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was considering the P2. The CC fork is a little to flexy,especially when I have a load on the rear panniers and a stiff wheel.

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
The Kona and Dimension disc forks aren't identical in proportion to the CC fork, but they are pretty close (410mm a2c for the Dimension and Kona, 400mm for the CC fork) and would work just fine.

I'm not sure about the rake.

I've thought about doing this same thing with one of mine (I've ended up with two Dimension forks somehow). I just have to get another CC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts