Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any quick way to cook them (or an instant brand??)--But they have to be Organic though!!
...I dont have 45 minutes in the morning to boil them (and have read either buy a rice cooker or put them in a bowl the night before with boiling water (and let them cook Overnight...) But that just seems kinda gross to me.. ALSO I have heard that they only taste good with honey (and I only use Organic stuff as much as possible these days--)
But honey has alot of sugar in it (and am switching from Instant Organic Oatmeal to get rid of added sugar.) Don't know if it is worth switching?? Any comments appreciated on this.....

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't have to be such a hippie about it.
--Not really, Just at home (I eat perfect).. But yesterday I had a Double Quarter Pounder Value Meal (from McDonald's), then had Pizza out for dinner.....

I will try Trader Joes This week (have to drive there from here), there are none where I live...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I cook mine in a crock pot. Throw them into the pot before you go to bed, they are perfect when you wake up. Seems to be the best way for me. You can pick up a small crock for cheap. I use a touch of brown sugar and molasses for flavor. I will usually throw some fresh fruit into it as well.

BTW: steel cut oats are significantly better for you then instant oatmeal. Instant oatmeal has been processed to hell and only vagualy represents the nutritional value of the steel cut oats it formally was.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
microwave 10 minutes on high
I have never owned a microwave (but use one at work.) Those thing cause cancer, period...

45 minutes of electricity just for a small amount of oatmeal daily?!?!? I might have to just stick to instant Organic Oatmeal... I wonder If I make a 'Pot Full' at once and then reheat in the morninf (How Will That Taste??)

·
ride the moment
1,067 Posts
The night before, bring the water to a raging boil and pour in the oats. Remove from heat and cover, let sit until morning. It will take about 10 minutes to cook in the morning. Freezing works too, just make your own "pucks."

·
2,989 Posts
I have never owned a microwave (but use one at work.) Those thing cause cancer, period...

45 minutes of electricity just for a small amount of oatmeal daily?!?!? I might have to just stick to instant Organic Oatmeal... I wonder If I make a 'Pot Full' at once and then reheat in the morninf (How Will That Taste??)
Your caveat is the amount of electricity used? Really? How much energy is expended to get your organic produce from Argentina, Chile, California etc. to you? I assume you use your A/C and heat; how much electricity does that consume? I also assume you do not own an electric car as that would be an egregious misuse of electricity according to you; so, how much energy is used to power your car? The extraction of crude, synthesizing it to gas, bringing it to the station, then you purchase it and burn it to run your auto. Do you have a dryer? What kind of electricity is that pulling; just to make heat which is readily available from the sun?

You are complaining about a slight amount of energy expenditure and yet to avoid a label of hippie you let slip you occasionally eat at one of the most despicable companies out there. How much was wasted to bring you that burger? Animals tortured? Energy consumed in transporting frozen goods to the restaurant in freezer trucks?

I am sure you ride a bike; how much time, energy and man hours were wasted to get it to you? Developing the technology for it? Was it new? That adds to the demand for new products thereby adding more push to make more new bikes to put on the market, using more energy and electricity.

You buy clothes? Sure do, I would assume. Where was the raw material sourced? Then sent to a factory in another country then to yours(country) and finally you buy it creating yet more demand and adding to the same push for new in yet another industry.

Do you flush the toilet after every use? That is a ridiculous waste of clean water since I assume you don't have a gray-water system. Showering every day is another good way to obliterate a good amount of fresh, clean, usable water. Food scraps? Do you compost them?

And you're worried about 45min. of electricity to cook oatmeal( which it really only takes 15- 20)? Cook a weeks worth at once, refrigerate and add boiling water to a bowlful in the morning. It may be mushy goo, I have never tried it but it seems like it would work.

In the interest of full disclosure a bit about myself so you get a feel for who I am:
I am 26. An anarchist. Atheist. I lived at an anarchist collective for four years where I did not have a dryer. Do you know how bad it sucks to have to hang clothes outside in 25 degree weather when someone else is using the drying rack in front of the fire? Or, when you hang up your clothes in the morning and before you get off of work it downpours then proceeds to rain--heavily--for the next three days? I do.

My house-mates and I would fight about the thermostat. We were supposed to be trying to reduce our carbon footprint as much as possible but they would always want to run the A/C/heat. Finally, another house-mate and I set them to off then broke them off the wall to end the argument. Not the best approach but effective.

We dumpstered our food because there is so much waste that it doesn't make sense not to. I have been dumpstering for food since 2006 and still do on occasion. A few times from your beloved Trade Joe's we scored three whole boxes of green unripe bananas and another box of unripe avocados. Do you really want to support that? I try to get as much of my food from the Farmers' Market. And from the closest farms to me. If you say you want only organic then there is a huge waste of resources just to get that to you, often with a few unsavory bits. Some local farmers may use pesticides and herbicides it's a matter of pick and choose your battles. Talk to your farmer, often they do practice sustainable / organic agriculture but lack the funds to get the cert. from the racket we call the FDA, Oregon Tilth, QAI etc.

Some of our dumpstered food went to Food Not Bombs. Which I would occasionally help cook( though I was usually helping 1304 Bikes--a non-profit bike redistribution program; both run out of my basement). They would sometimes cook inedible food that I would later try to force down my throat in the interest of not wasting anything( one memorable dish was avocado soup; holy hell it was disgusting and I gagged on every spoonful. A house-mate had to extract it from my hands in the interest of keeping me from eating it).

If we only urinated in the toilet we wouldn't flush and when we defecated we used our gray-water to flush the toilets. Our washer drained into an irrigation reservoir. We captured rain water to use in our garden in the front yard. We cut the grass with a scythe since lawnmowers use gas. We raised chickens for eggs.

Most of us were active in local community building among the section 8 apartments up the street. To the chagrin of our rich neighbors. With one outstanding, amazing exception: our across the street neighbors wife. She was a transplant from CA so it made sense; he hated us. We were also active in local politics and a few had helped start a local chapter of Earth First!( me being one).

All the while fighting with depression since I know that no matter how much we did, how much we empowered people, how much we helped it was never going to be enough. Ever. It's a really depressing thought and now I don't even get to do half of this( more on this in a bit).

I don't own a car. I haven't since 2003( wasn't by choice; became choice in 2006). I take public transit to work now. I hate it because I have to ride in a gas burning behemoth of idiocy. I am going to start riding my bike the 30mi.( one way) to work as much as I can because I hate riding the bus so much.

Almost every single one of my bikes is used( the exception being my touring bike and BMX( the team manager of the company gave me the hook-up on a new one)). I try to never buy new; ever. I get pants from the thrift store and shirts from the scrap bin at work. I have to buy new shoes though and always put it off because I don't like it. I wear socks and underwear until they're nothing, and get new one's for Christmas every few years from my mom because I hate buying them new and I know I need them new. It's the only thing I get for the holiday and I am okay with that because I hate getting new things and she refuses to buy used.

Currently: I live in a condo with my girlfriend. The last four years of my life are being undone. We live like your typical middle-class mid-twenties couple; I do still only shower once a week, though that's all the "activism" I can currently do. I hate it. I am miserable( more so than ever). I am often accused of being too depressing to hang out with. Now more than ever. All of our friends I don't really consider them mine, even though I have known most of them way longer than her. No one calls to hang out with me they only put up with me. The only three people who don't think this about me? My three mountain bike friends.

See, there are precious few things that get me excited/ make me happy. Actually there are three. Music, bikes and movies. And the last one is starting to loose grip with the current state of cinema. I tend to get way to into these since It's all I have. These forums are like therapy for me. I come on here to make fun/ advise/ ask and learn. It's like my version of going to the coffee shop/ bar. And one day I would like to travel the country and meet some of the people I have "befriended" on the internet( yes, a giant waste of resources). And though I would never be so crass as to ask to use their couch, mine is always open to travelers, train hoppers, crusty nomads, bike tourers, the occasional homeless person and anyone else that may need a couch for a night or two, you included.

sorry to waste your time,
..............Moshe

[/rant], [/threadjack], [/soul-bearing], [/soapbox], [/wasting your time], [/my positive rep]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Steel cut oats don't need to cook for 45 minutes. I don't know why most recipes call for that. I boil them up in exactly the same time it takes me to fry my eggs in the morning, then let them sit in the pan until I finish the eggs, and I eat fast - I'm getting ready for work...

Anyway try cooking them in an uncovered sauce pan for 3 - 5 minutes (my guess, it doesn't take long to fry an egg!). Boil them hard until they thicken and swell. They start to swell almost immediately when the water/oats mixture starts to really boil. I then let them sit, but it is mostly so that they can cool down to a temperature that is bearable.

Try mixing in some cinnamon after cooking, that tastes good. Another good addition that doesn't take much time: slice an apple into small cubes and cook it with the oats and cinnamon. Tastes good and it is MUCH more filling and satisfying. If you add an apple, let it cook a bit longer to soften the apple. That's what I like to eat before a long ride.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interesting question.

I had a show on this morning while having my breakfast and they were talking about this.

One of the people said to just boil water the night before, put your oats in and cover them and go to bed.

In the morning they will be cooked and you just heat them up.

Now, I have never tried this but it sounds like it makes sense so no harm trying it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interesting question.

I had a show on this morning while having my breakfast and they were talking about this.

One of the people said to just boil water the night before, put your oats in and cover them and go to bed.

In the morning they will be cooked and you just heat them up.

Now, I have never tried this but it sounds like it makes sense so no harm trying it.
This worked like a charm for anyone that may want to try it.

I boiled the water, added the oats and boiled for about another minute or so.

Then I turned off the heat, out a lid on the pot and went to bed.

When I got up this morning, I turned the burner on and simmered for about 7 minutes and had a bowl of hot oatmeal for breakfast.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.