Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this small problem with my 2017 scott spark that bugs me, when I press down hard on handlebars and compress the fork there is a ticking sound that comes from the top of the headset and I narrowed it down to the aluminum compression ring that is the problem, it seems too weak because there are marking left on the bottom side of it from all the stress

Anybody know if they make steel compression rings?

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I have seen them wear out before (especially if there was movement for some length of time). You should be able to replace it with a new one, and all should be well. Buy from the same manufacturer, or buy a Cane Creek with a handful of top cap shims, in case they are needed to make up height difference.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen them wear out before (especially if there was movement for some length of time). You should be able to replace it with a new one, and all should be well. Buy from the same manufacturer, or buy a Cane Creek with a handful of top cap shims, in case they are needed to make up height difference.
This seems to be the case. I did replace with a new compression ring and so far it seems much better, 3 rides and still not a peep... I guess I will wait and see how long it lasts before I purchase any more

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.