Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want a steel AM hardtail, I've been doing some research and I thus far, I have been looking at the surly instigator and on-one 456. What I have found when I am looking at the geometry of these bikes is that it is hard for me to find something that fits me the way I want it to. I am about 5'9 with 30.5 standover. yes, all torso. I don't like long stems either. I want to have at least 2.5 inches standover, but not be cramped cockpit wise. Well anyway, just wanted to see what ya'll thought, ANY info or suggestiong would be great.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Cove makes a few steel hardtails. Also, if you are considering the On-One you can order the frame for a decent price from pricepoint, but Zedsports carries On-One and you can get an awesome deal on a pike or revelation with the frame. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
wow, that cromag looks NIIIIICCEE, but I see the only dealer in the US is in Florida. Also, I didn't really see pricing on that website, how much for that frame? Also, from what I saw off the cove site, the steel HTs they have are either XC or DJ.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can't see it on their website, but the Cove Handjob is actually updated with geometry for a 130mm fork this year:
http://www.silverfish-uk.com/content/news_about_cove-bike-frames.php?articleshow=660

The Chromag Stylus is rather heavy 6,85 lbs (3,1 kg) - for AM use I guess the Samurai is a better choice at 4,75 lbs (2,15 kg):
http://www.chromagbikes.com/samurai.html
I don't know their pricing, other than the super light XC frame Sakura is USD900...

You are considering the On-One 456, but I would rather have a look at another british frame designer and his well-proven Cotic Soul model in Reynolds 853 high quality steel. Some 4-500 grams lighter than the On-One, smoother looking to my eyes - and a long frame that makes for a more than decent standover clearance:
http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/soul.html

Then you have the very nice Dialledbikes Prince Albert frames in Reynolds 853, but it's among the heaviest 853 frames at 5,3 lbs (2,4 kg) - according to the reviews I've seen.
http://www.dialledbikes.com/products/mtb/853.html

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. So far from what I've seen, those are some very nice looking HT's, but I was hoping to keep the frame under 500. With that, most of those are out, but thanks for the options. The regular prince albert seems ot be in my range and is looking appealing.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Those are all good suggestions.

Evil Sovereign
Chromag (a couple models)
DMR
On-one
Surly
Dialled bikes

Of those, I'd go for the Evil or the Chro-mag. But, as usual, I always have to plug the Peyto love! www.peytocycles.com

·
surly inbred
1,539 Posts
sold on steel

I haven't been on steel since well, they weighed more than boat anchors. Now? ...like butter (and I just parted with a 575.)

Many choices out there and you certainly need to fit the frame to yourself. Me, I'm all about the On-One... been giggling like a schoolgirl lately. I was lucky, the 456 fits like a glove for me. And if I ever find a 80mm 90deg stem, it'll be even more perfecter.

Weaksauce build shot

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
IT might be too slack, but a used Balfa Minuteman might get the job done too.

Surly Instigator - I think scrublover referenced it as well. I rode one set up with a Manitou Minute up front and it was a mighty fun bike!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
DP1112 said:
I really want a steel AM hardtail, I've been doing some research and I thus far, I have been looking at the surly instigator and on-one 456. What I have found when I am looking at the geometry of these bikes is that it is hard for me to find something that fits me the way I want it to. I am about 5'9 with 30.5 standover. yes, all torso. I don't like long stems either. I want to have at least 2.5 inches standover, but not be cramped cockpit wise. Well anyway, just wanted to see what ya'll thought, ANY info or suggestiong would be great.
another vote for the surly, i run my instigator with a 6" travel fork and love it.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Oh. My. God. I have a woody for this frame.

http://www.dekerfcycles.co.uk/Details.asp?id=4

Mmmmm, tweaked to give it a 69 degree head angle built around Pike, drop the toptube slope down some more, make sure to have huge tire room in back, and built up with the Rohloff droupouts. And a Rohloff, of course. With my Gravity Dropper post. Serious lust right now.

Yeah, it's way more than I'll ever spend on a frame, but wow. If any hardtail could replace the Peyto for me, that's it!

Anyone got a spare kidney they wanta' sell for me?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.