Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a steel, 29er geared hard tail to mate with my Pivot Mach 429. Not lookinog to break the bank and go custom (eg Walt Works etc).. IN a perfect world, I would be able to land a steel HT w a Fox F100 shock and XT level drivetrain for around $2500... I am apparently delusional... The few steel bikes I have come across (Niner, Jamis) appear to have nice 853 frames but are spec'd w mid level SRAM and Rock Shox fork and prices at reputable shops are very close to full retail and exceed my price point... I am going ot be paitent and wait it out.. I even evalauted building up a frame....Just seems strange to me that Fox is gouging their loyal customers... $800 for a cross country fork.. Cmon' and fewer bike are spec'ing Fox these days... I am at a loss... So anyways, back to my point.... Any recommendations on stock Steel 29er HT bikes out there on the market outside of Niner and Jamis?? I plan to check out the FIsher...but once again..No Fox available UGH!!!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I think you've got a pretty specific list of requirements to find a stock bike equipped exactly like that.

Here's an idea...buy one of these and put XT on it. Sell off the SLX stuff and anything else you don't like. Probably do-able for $2500.

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/mountain/xxixg-11/

Or get one of the GT Zaskar Pro 9er in XL from Performance Bike and sell off the frame to and get the Niner MCR from Speedgoat. That would be pretty close to $2500 after you sold the GT frame.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1083464_-1_20000__400308

http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Cat=C123&Prod=16939

·
Registered
2020 Salsa Horsethief; 2021 Surly Krampus
852 Posts
+1 with Nater.

There aren't too many complete bikes out there with a steel frame anyway, let alone with XT drivetrain and Fox fork. Best to go with a donor bike. So you could find a donor with the Fox fork and SLX like Nater suggested or a donor with XT but a Reba (sell the Reba for $$$ toward a Fox) ala Bikes Direct offerings.

As for frames, Niner MCR, Jamis Dragon, Raleigh XXIX Pro are a few that come to mind with 853 tubing. You can also look toward a Tange frame like a 2009 or earlier Salsa El Mariachi or Soma Juice. The Rocky Mountain Hammer had Reynolds 725 tubing, but is no longer made (can still get one on Ebay). Fisher/Trek stopped making the Ferrous in 2009, now they have the Sawyer in steel.

Another idea for frame would be the Misfit DiSSent Fe which is about the same cost as an MCR.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
There was a 29er frame post somewhere in here that listed all the names of the steel MFG of frames. Don't forget companies like motobecane, on-one, and the like. I was able to pick up my steel inbred 29er frame for $315 to my door. If you are taking your time you should star buying used and save some cash. Maybe pick up one of the high level Motos from bikesdirect as a donor bike then go from there.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for sharing the great technical advice... Geez, how the heck does BikeDirect sell a titanium frame w XO and RS Reba for $2K??? I figured it was becauase teh frames are pieces of sh8t...but the revieews on MTBR indicate otherwise... WTF! The Niner and Jamis steel bikes are made in Taiwan.. its not like I am supporting USA in this case... Hard to pass up the TI Motobecane based on what I am reading.. but it pains me to go taht route.. something smells fishy!!

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
a lot of folks here and on Bike forums.net have gone with Bikes Direct. some do it just for donor frames to get all the parts.

What Size are you?
I was thinking about selling my Walt works

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
I went through this decision not long ago - geared, steel. Most of the frames I can think of have already been mentioned. A couple others to look at are the Singular Swift and Astrix Monk - but both of those frames may be just outside your price range, and I'm guessing you wont find those complete.

Tree fort is still running a deal on the MCR frame: http://www.treefortbikes.com/eurl.axd/8470b7470b433042857b613df566ac4b/#navbar=pro___333222360917___338 - just gotta call up and have them special order it.

·
Registered
2020 Salsa Horsethief; 2021 Surly Krampus
852 Posts
schneidw said:
Thank you for sharing the great technical advice... Geez, how the heck does BikeDirect sell a titanium frame w XO and RS Reba for $2K??? I figured it was becauase teh frames are pieces of sh8t...but the revieews on MTBR indicate otherwise... WTF! The Niner and Jamis steel bikes are made in Taiwan.. its not like I am supporting USA in this case... Hard to pass up the TI Motobecane based on what I am reading.. but it pains me to go taht route.. something smells fishy!!
Though BD only had the 21" frame in stock right now I believe. If you're going to go Ti, check out Carver for a fully custom Ti frame for $1200, that leaves a hefty $1300 for fork, wheels and components.

·
Is dang happy!
1,384 Posts
+1 on the Raliegh.

Nater said:
I think you've got a pretty specific list of requirements to find a stock bike equipped exactly like that.

Here's an idea...buy one of these and put XT on it. Sell off the SLX stuff and anything else you don't like. Probably do-able for $2500.

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/mountain/xxixg-11/
10 speed drivetrain, shimano hydros and thru-axle Fox. With the $ left over you could get some blingy wheels and other nice bits.

·
Sloth Hunter
87 Posts
I like my green Haro Mary. Heavy, but indestructible.
The wheels sucked, but they are getting replaced...maybe SpeedDream wheels. LOL, they will be more expensive than the bike. Fugit

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.