Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably just all thumbs, but I cannot get the stealth dropper cable routed on this frame. Does anybody have any tricks or tips on how to get the cable/housing through the frame and around the corner on its way up the seat tube?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'm probably just all thumbs, but I cannot get the stealth dropper cable routed on this frame. Does anybody have any tricks or tips on how to get the cable/housing through the frame and around the corner on its way up the seat tube?

I took a metal coat hanger, straitened it out. On one end I made a loop or hook. I held the hanger and flash light in my right hand aimed down the seat tube. I started to feed the dropper hose in with my left hand while I was looking down the seat tube. Once i saw the hose down by the bb, i pulled it back some and tried to line up the hanger(wire) with the loop on the end so when I push the hose with my left hand it slide into the loop. As I push the hose in i pulled up on the hanger. I'm sure there is a better way but i got it on my first try and it only took me 5 mins with making the loop in the hanger wire. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took a metal coat hanger, straitened it out. On one end I made a loop or hook. I held the hanger and flash light in my right hand aimed down the seat tube. I started to feed the dropper hose in with my left hand while I was looking down the seat tube. Once i saw the hose down by the bb, i pulled it back some and tried to line up the hanger(wire) with the loop on the end so when I push the hose with my left hand it slide into the loop. As I push the hose in i pulled up on the hanger. I'm sure there is a better way but i got it on my first try and it only took me 5 mins with making the loop in the hanger wire. Hope this helps :)
I tried that exact thing, but when feeding the hose through the down tube hole, it never showed itself through the seattube for me to lasso. There seems to be some sort of obstruction. I'm going to give it another go tonight. Fingers crossed.

·
WheelBanger
102 Posts
+1 with the coat hanger method. Was very easy to hook the cable housing and pull it up. If you can't see the cable housing, then something must be in the way. The distance from the hole on down tube and BB area where you see the cable housing is fairly short. Maybe bend the housing to curve upward a little and fed it throught.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you straighten a coat hanger then push it up through the stealth hole and up the tube... Then you can tape the end of the stealth remote tubing to the coat hanger and gently pull it through.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I ultimately got it to work, but it was a pain. When I tried to push the cable housing through the port in the down tube, I could not see it emerge into the open space at the bottom of the seat tube.

I ended up using a wire the same diameter as the cable, but stiffer, and fishing that through. I was able to put a severe bend in teh end of it and wiggle it around until it was just barely visible. After some cussing, I was able to hook it with a hanger. I then pushed the housing over the top of that wire. On the top fo the seat tube I folded the wire over the end of the housing so the housing couldn't slilp off. From there, I gently pulled the other end of the wire out of the downtube port. A bit more jiggling, and cussing, and eventually it made the corner and popped out.

Hopefully I don't have to replace it too often. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts