Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to a wedding - we're staying the the golden gate rec area and while my wife is doing other stuff, I want to ride.

From what I can tell, Mike's bikes of Sausalito is the closest place to where we're staying to rent a bike from. My idea is to be dropped off there, grab a bike and go. I prefer mountain biking, but I can't tell how reasonable it is to get to decent trail via bike from that location. I'm also OK with road biking if there would be nice roads that aren't too dangerous (as far as being on highways goes).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Staying in that new hotel at Fort Baker on the Marin side of the bridge I guess. Your most direct trail system is the Marin Headlands you are staying in it (GGNRA).

Most of the trails out there are wide fireroads, all up and down. But with the recent weather (clear in SF) the views are outstanding. There is one semi-singletrack out there called Old Springs Trail.

Here is a map: http://www.nps.gov/applications/parks/goga/ppMaps/map-mahe.pdf

If you want to put in some miles. Start in Tennessee Valley will be the closest from riding from Mikes Bikes. About ~20 mins.

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
You can easily loop up Mt Tam from there.

One suggestion: Bike path north from Mike's Bikes. Left on Sycamore, left on Blithedale to Old Railroad Grade up Mt Tam. From the West Point Inn go down Old Stage Road (go out and back to the top of Mt Tam first if you feel like it), cross through the Pantoll ranger station, down the Coastal Trail. Left on Hwy 1 to Muir Beach. Take Middle Green Gulch (goes through a zen farm in the beginning) up to Miwok, take Miwok to Tennessee Valley road, follow that back to the bike path you started on. Basically all fireroad like baycat said, but you get to ride Mt Tam and the views are great.

(I doubt this is completely correct and it probably misses some details. If you want to do something like this, get a map and mention this route at Mike's Bikes for more info and less of a chance of getting lost. You should also run into lots of people from whom you can ask directions.)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I did the trail from golden gate all the way to muir beach. IT wasn't technical at all but there were a lot of climbs that wore me out fast. BUt then again, I am waaaay out of shape. I think I walked my bike more than ride it uphill. Here are some pics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.