Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
GONE
27,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using XTR M970 cranks on my rig and I am looking for a back up BB for my spare parts drawer.

Currently running an XTR M970 BB, should I stick with that or is there a BETTER choice that is LIGHTER in weight, with equal DURABILITY???

Thanks,
'hawg

·
863 Posts
XTR's are light, maintenance free, and "disposable."

I've been running a CK, which is 2-3 times as expensive, since the Shimano that came with the bike started making noise. CK is considerably heavier. In retrospect, I can buy 2-3 Shimanos for the price of the CK.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I wouldn't call 970 bb as disposable, unless you refuse to service it... Shimano BB, together with dust cover and thick seals, keeps grit out pretty good, and since back side is open, let you clean it out much easier and safer than other bearings. Enduro is a good product, but I'd stick with Shimano as I like the easy access to service them.

I would avoid RaceFace bb, unless they changed everything (crappy bearings - full complement, and crappy seals). Their cranks look gorgeous, but looks doesn't get you anywhere.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Been running a Hope ceramic, which has been fantastic. Durability has been phenomenal (and still going strong). Not sure what pricing is like in the US, but good deals can be had from CRC or Wiggle. As for weight, it does not really concern me that much. Prefer longevity and reliability personally...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.