Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If anyone paid attention - I was asking some Q's about a VPF.

Well - its done. Ordered 2 days ago with a 888 RC2x and CK headset.

I am a proud expactant rider and will follow up with stageed build pics. Ill be needing to pic up a Digi Cam because I still dont have one (except for my POS cell phone - I dont ever use it as anything but a phone!!!)

Build Updated Below!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
XL Free?

Huck Banzai said:
If anyone paid attention - I was asking some Q's about a VPF.

Well - its done. Ordered 2 days ago with a 888 RC2x and CK headset.

I am a proud expactant rider and will follow up with stageed build pics. Ill be needing to pic up a Digi Cam because I still dont have one (except for my POS cell phone - I dont ever use it as anything but a phone!!!)

Hear is the build I am envisioning. Only some parts are here, frame, fork, headset on the way.

2006 Santa Cruz VP Free - Extra Large (!) - Gangreen
2007 888 RC2x VA

The frame is XL? I don't even see that listed as a size on the SC website. The Large will fit someone up to 6' 6".
Curious...how tall are you?

I just bought a Free frame size Medium and I am 6 feet tall. (see numerous posts over the last couple of days on sizing)...
I too will be sporting the 07 888RC2X VA

Build looks sweet....good luck.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok - now I have alot of parts, but still no camera. Anyone got any recommends? Pref Sony (Sony whore here) - something small and decent, I dont need top of the line, but no junk either.

Here is the bike so far (in words)

06 VPF Gang Green XL - DHX 5.0 Coil
07 888 RC2x VA 'Charcoal' (WTF - this thing is FAR from charcoal in color)
Chris King No-Threadset 1-1/8" Black
Thomson Elite seatpost - Black
Easton EA70 Monkey Bars 31.8 Hi-Rise - Uncut, Black - using integrated stem
SDG Bel Air RL Seat
2007 Avid Code brakes with 8" Rotors.
2007 SRAM X.9 Derailleur
2007 SRAM X.9 Shifter
Shimano Saint 83mm BB Cranks / 38t
E-13 SRS Chainguide w/ Black supercharger
Easton Flatboy pedals
SRAM PG 980 Cassette 11-32 (2g less than 991 - BAH!, 30$ cheaper)
SRAM PG 971 Chain
Transition Revolution 36 Wheelset 150mm / Black (Stickers removed!)
Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR 2.5 3C Compound
ODI Rogue lock ons.

Almost everything is here, I am still waiting on the wheels and the easton stuff.

Going to build another set of wheels so I have 2 set w/ a 150 - and these will be 'fancy' -- Hadley 150mm with Doubletrack, Pimp, or 729 -- Havent decided what my priority is yet for the rim.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to FreeriderB.

They do not make XL any more, that is why I had to get the 06. I have been putting off a new build for a while and was nudged by this fact because SC told me they expected their stock of XL's to run out by April.

It has a 1-1/8" HT versus the 07's 1.5, and doesnt have ISCG mounts either.

I am 6'7-6'8" with 38" inseam. (and SC's comments) a 6'6" rider on a L is strecthing it, but many do like undersized bikes (for DH). I tried the L, but with my height I am up so high that my COG makes for some major OTB potential.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
unfluid one said:
as for cameras, i really like canon sd*** series.. in particular i'd go with the sd600.. because it is very quick as far as digital point and shoot cameras go and not too $$. www.cnet.com check there for reviews.
OH BAM!

FREAKIN ESP!

I was just coming in to post a tangent that I am getting a digi cam through a friend for a 20% discount. The model I chose after some ADHD research and asking some advice (including from Master Jako) I decided on........

......Canon SD600!!!!!!!

THANKS! You just Sextuple reinforced my decision. Its funny - I like small devices, fones, gadgets - and to keep em simple -- but I'm 6'8" 220

My XL bikes look big even to me, then I sit on em and people say that I look like Im on a BMX.

YESS! Hopefully tomorrow Ill grab it locally if I cant get the hookup.. will save 30+ bit I am imulsive and hard to restrain...

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Xl

Huck Banzai said:
to FreeriderB.

They do not make XL any more, that is why I had to get the 06. I have been putting off a new build for a while and was nudged by this fact because SC told me they expected their stock of XL's to run out by April.

I am 6'7-6'8" with 38" inseam. (and SC's comments) a 6'6" rider on a L is strecthing it, but many do like undersized bikes (for DH). I tried the L, but with my height I am up so high that my COG makes for some major OTB potential.
XL sounds good. Glad you were able to get one.
My new medium frame is 1 1/8 as well, and lacks the ISCG tabs.
With this in mind, I was told by SC that I would need to use a 73mm BB not the 83mm.
I noticed your build says 83mm.

Not sure if I'm right (because this is my first ride being built from scratch). Let me know if you are positive since I still need to buy cranks.

RE your fork...does the color look darker or lighter than what you expected? I was told charcol as well. It will be here next week.

P.S. Just bought some nice yellow Deemax to go with my polished frame and 888VA!

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
freeriderB said:
XL sounds good. Glad you were able to get one.
My new medium frame is 1 1/8 as well, and lacks the ISCG tabs.
With this in mind, I was told by SC that I would need to use a 73mm BB not the 83mm.
I noticed your build says 83mm.

Not sure if I'm right (because this is my first ride being built from scratch). Let me know if you are positive since I still need to buy cranks.

RE your fork...does the color look darker or lighter than what you expected? I was told charcol as well. It will be here next week.

P.S. Just bought some nice yellow Deemax to go with my polished frame and 888VA!
Looks like I jumped the gun on the Cranks - good call; however it looks like I will still be able to use them with some tweaking and get the proper chainline to boot!

The fork is WAAY lighter than I though - anyone calling this thing charcoal grey must be wearing dark tints... Its silver!!

EDIT: It is a 73mm BB but requires a 128mm spindle! Saints and DIabolous will work if you use the 83mm version arms, with 73mm cups, then use spacers between cranks and cups - RF makes a kit ~$10 which includes the 73mm internal spacer and some spacers for the arms.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UGH - I suck - its done except waiting for heavy springs, drop crown, and pedals.

I got the camera - going to snap pics tomorrow if the crown shows up!

acck oook eeek - uits BE-YOO-TEE-FULL!

and the cranks and Race Face spacers worked out gravylicious! All good!

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NoManerz said:
What did you do about the ridge on the non-drive side?
late response, but I needed 1 nylon spacer there which pushed the cup out, no need to face it off!

I have also recently realized that there is ~0.40mm gap still that I need to get a spacer into - it hasnt been an issue but I expect it to impact bearing life unless I get on top of it!
-- having used the Race Face BB kit, one 5mm spacer on each side spindle, and 1 2.5mm nylon bb cup spacer on non-drive side. I am still short that (est) 0.40mm -- I wish I had a caliper and some guages!! Off to the HW store! (Maybe Ill get a tap n die set while Im there... TANGENT - GO ADD!! WOOOOT!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.