Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hoodoo Voodoo?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems a proper introduction is in order.

Hey guys and gals, joined up the first of the year and am looking forward to riding with each and every one of you. It is very possible I have ridden with some of you already. I have been road riding, I know, I know, for about 25 years and mountain biking for about 20 years. Remember "biopace"? Yes, my first mountain bike was a Jamis Dakar and found myself mostly on Mt. Tam back then. I have been riding Skeggs for probably 15 years. Anybody know which trail used to be called 914 and why? Bonus points (or it appears that should be bonus beers) if you know the answer. And, what was Manzanita called back in the day? I ride Tahoe in the summer, met my wife on an epic ride there many years ago, as well as Downieville of course. Went to Auburn last Fall for the first time, Wow, what great fun. Looking forward to getting back there soon. I've ridden Napa, Angwin, Boggs Mountain, Dominican Republic, Canada including Fernie, Rossland and Nelson. Heading to Whistler Mountain Bike Park with my older son next Summer. Mostly Demo for longer rides right now. You may have seen me out there on my, American fabricated, Voodoo Bizango which I have been loyal to since about '95 albeit with a brief stint on a Voodoo Canzo Ti FS for a couple of years. Pretty lousy suspension design though, consequently it seems to have become a parts bike of late.

Anyway, enough about me, my 6 year old is asking "when can we do the jumps Papa"? So, I was wondering if anyone knows the status of Calabasas and when it might re-open.

Demo tomorrow, late morning. Hope to see you there if you are not busy testing those silly 29er's. I must admit, I have not tried one yet, might be dangerous, no room in the garage for another bike you know.

G

·
it's being rebuilt as of right now. done by june?...these things always seem to take longer than expected. It wont be the same, but it will be. thats the important thing.

·
Less yappin, more Brappin
789 Posts
I went past the park last week. All of the old (classic) jumps have been leveled and the dirt is being graded. Surveyor(?) posts have been put up so it looks like theres some good progress. But yea, scheduled to be open in April, but that really means June or so.

The sign says the budget for the park is slightly over half a million dollars. Thats a lot of money for piles of shaped dirt. I hope the primarily skateboard park designers dont mess this one up. :confused:

·
Outrageously happy
71 Posts
A lot of those natural features in the creek bed were a hoot to ride. I'm going to miss the old park. For some jumps, there are a good set near Mission Street in Santa Cruz, adjacent to the railroad tracks by Younglove.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
#1Hammerhead said:
Anybody know which trail used to be called 914 and why? Bonus points (or it appears that should be bonus beers) if you know the answer.
There was a wrecked Porshe 914 there. Is it Virginia Mill now?

·
Hoodoo Voodoo?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zignzag said:
There was a wrecked Porshe 914 there. Is it Virginia Mill now?
Zignzag, You are right about the Porshe but wrong on the trail name, try again? Need the full answer before any tops will be a poppin'. Then again, with a handle like Zignzag maybe we best not tip any, you think? Anyway, great fun when the Porshe was there. Did you have a chance to ride through it? For those not in the know, you would ride through one door and out the other, easy but fun.

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
I think you're talking about El Corte de Madera Creek trail. If not, it's one of either North Leaf or Methuselah.

For the bonus round, what is the Resolution trail named after? What distinguishing feature is found along Resolution?

·
Hoodoo Voodoo?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Swell Guy said:
I think you're talking about El Corte de Madera Creek trail. If not, it's one of either North Leaf or Methuselah.

For the bonus round, what is the Resolution trail named after? What distinguishing feature is found along Resolution?
Well, which one is it, ECMC trail, North Leaf or Methuselah?

How about what Manzanita used to be called?

Bonus round...the answer is....small plane wreckage

·
We need more wax
307 Posts
the old 914 trail is officially called Methuselah. The Porsche, which was orange in color had no doors or roof, which allowed you to ride right through it. It was located a little below the junction with the new Leaf Trail (I never can remember if it is North or South Leaf). Manzanita Trail used to called Chinquipin (not sure of the spelling).

More old-skool Skegg's trivia. Do you remember seeing the old totem pole at the top of what is now the lower Steam Donkey. That's why we call that trail Totem. The upper part of Steam Donkey we call Green Gate, because it is green colored (who would thunk it :eekster: ) starts at the un-named Gate 4 1/2.

Check out this recent thread for more of the old Skegg's trails:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=256623&highlight=skeggs

some other trails that were not yet mentioned:
Outhouse
Library
Garbage

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
#1Hammerhead said:
Well, which one is it, ECMC trail, North Leaf or Methuselah?

How about what Manzanita used to be called?

Bonus round...the answer is....small plane wreckage
JustBob got the answer. The reason I wasn't sure is on the current alignments, you ride all three trails in a short amount of space. The climb out is on Methuselah. I believe you are first on CdMC trail, then you drop into North Leaf briefly, and onto Methuselah near the creek crossing. At least, that's what I remember, I haven't been to Skeggs recently. Couldn't remember where exactly the Porsche was, but it was in that neck of the woods where the creek is, and the big drop-off into the creek is.

You didn't answer my question about the name. It is a plane, but I wouldn't consider a DC-6 small. It was the intercontinental airliner of it's day.

Other trails from the old days - Jersey Shred, Sidewinder, Airplane. But yeah, there's much more on that other thread.

JustBob = Bob I?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.