Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.idahostatesman.com/eyepiece/story/814835.html

The police are now set to begin ticketing cylcists ($46.50). I think it is probably a good idea to begin enforcing the laws for cyclists as there are a few bad eggs that spoil it for all of us. I kind of wonder though, if they cannot police the motorist well enough then how do they figure they can now police cyclists as well?

This new mandate still does not change the fact that three cyclists were killed recently and all of them were obeying the laws of the road. Another was killed a couple of years ago when she was stopped at an intersection and a lady doped up on pain meds ran her over.
I realize that the "investigation" has to play its course, but it seems pretty obviouse in Kevin's case that the motorist was at fault. If the same motorist had shot an individual and was suspected of it, they would be in jail while the investigation was proceeding (or on bail at least). The motorist took a life and they are treating Kevin (the victim) as the criminal. Why not file charges and then drop them if something has changed in the case?

It seems to me that the police should be looking for motorists that are aggressive to cyclists. Why not have plain (cycling) clothed cops on bikes around town, say Hill Road, and stop drivers that are aggressive and breaking the law. The police would not even have to cite the individuals, possibly pointing out to the motorists what they were doing may be enough.

At any rate, stay in the hills where it is safe. When you do ride on the road be more attentive and cautious. Three dead cyclist are three too many.

·
mtnjam
688 Posts
This would be all great and everything if it went both ways....we all know that the police force doesn't have enough resources to ticket everyone that violates bike traffic laws, because surely they don't have enough resources or care to ticket aggressive drivers of motorized vehicles.

Come on Mike Masterson, do you really think you have any legs for enforcing this? And do you have the legs to keep up with us to try to ticket us. Stay off the doughnuts and maybe you can

Fear is the driving force behind all decisions being made anymore, don't give in, still ride as you normally would

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
BoiseBoy said:
At any rate, stay in the hills where it is safe.
Yeah, just watch out for the meth-addled young ladies on a murderous rampage on Five Mile. And those recently discovered human bones in the footies.

Oh, never forget the water bars and coyote poop.

And the hottentots in their harc0re hammerhead kits. K2 and I just about got run over by a trio of the unfriendly [email protected] last night. Twice. They're as dangerous as 16 year olds hopped up on meth and looking at internet p0rn on their iPods.

Is there something about wearing a tight jersey and lycra that tends to make one grumpy?

I suppose saying "Hello to you too Mr. Friendly!" as Mr. Friendly Hottentot Hammerhead Kit Guy passed with a silent grimace didn't help matters.

But, it made me feel all special inside and outside.

Salad.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
• Going through a stop sign without slowing for traffic. Though cyclists can go through stop signs without completely stopping, they are required to stop for traffic close enough to be an "immediate hazard." For a red light, a cyclist must first stop, yield to all other traffic, before proceeding through a steady red light with caution. If you don't slow at all for a stop sign or light, you could be stopped by police.

• Riding against traffic. State laws and Boise rules prohibit bikers from riding on the wrong side of the road.

• Riding at night with no headlight or rear reflector. Headlights aren't so the cyclist can see, but so that the cyclist can be seen by others.

• Riding through "don't walk" signals. When riding on sidewalks and in crosswalks, cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as pedestrians. A cyclist on a sidewalk is a pedestrian. A bike on the road is a vehicle.

It is nice they posted the laws they plan to enforce. The TV news was kind enough to show drivers misstating the cyclist laws and never mention the correct laws. Seems like one of motorists biggest complaints about cyclists is they don't stop at stop signs and they go through red lights.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dude...as discussed...they were "training". They ******** on the 4wheeler that pushed me off of trail 4 was nicer about it than those 3 fools. I might try it though...it seems to look fun...you get to be crabby as hell on the trails, not smile, and NOT have an ice cold NATTY after your ride. Hmmm...maybe there is something to "training".
The day my "training" pays off, and I get 3rd place in the Sport Clydesdale class (aka KING OF THE WORLD ), then the trails will truly be free of my tyranny.

OR...I would rather be slow, paunchy and happy.

...just sayin...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I commute year-round in east Boise and have noticed that since the deaths and news coverage a lot of drivers are overly cautious in that they extend me a right-of-way by stopping and waving me through that I don't and shouldn't have. It is really confusing and dangerous especially when they are not using their turn signal when they are poised to make a turn. Makes it difficult to figure out what they are up to. I stop and insist that they take they go first as dictated by rules/law. It is harder for them to hit me when they are headed away from me. As always I wave and smile.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Wcs

k2cruiser72 said:
Dude...as discussed...they were "training". They ******** on the 4wheeler that pushed me off of trail 4 was nicer about it than those 3 fools. I might try it though...it seems to look fun...you get to be crabby as hell on the trails, not smile, and NOT have an ice cold NATTY after your ride. Hmmm...maybe there is something to "training".
The day my "training" pays off, and I get 3rd place in the Sport Clydesdale class (aka KING OF THE WORLD ), then the trails will truly be free of my tyranny.

OR...I would rather be slow, paunchy and happy.

...just sayin...
Were you not aware that last night was the finals of the Cat 5 World Championships?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Personally, I am appalled by the one-sidedness and timing of our police chief's announcement / press release. I agree that publicizing the little known laws as they pertain to bicyclists is important and that the public should be informed of how to properly ride in traffic. That said, if this announcement, coming so close on the heels of recent events, was balanced by an announced crackdown on inattentive driving and law-breaking motorists as well, I would get it. Instead it comes off as once again, it must be the dead bikers' fault ... keep on driving, talking, texting, doping, and drinking. It's all OK because you're driving a vehicle. You are righteous. Those bikers are incorrigible miscreants who pay with their lives. Please make your voices heard, [email protected]

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not the case for me climbing Glenwood past Pacific Recycling last weekend. Several vehicles were close enough to just about brush my left shoulder as they went past. It made me feel warm and tingly inside.

·
mtnjam
688 Posts
i think the most disturbing part are some of the comments on the Statesman's site

On a related note, it always angers me to no end how many motorists I see driving in the bike lane or weaving in and out of the lane like the one I saw today on Hill Rd. Or for that matter parking in the bike lane (please see Hill and Tamarack area)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Break the law, kill someone on a big, free pass!

This article talks about one moron who was riding on the sidewalk. How aboot those others that were riding legally and got mowed down?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts