Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in central PA (Williamsport) this weekend visiting the fam for Mom's Day and was hoping to ride some part of the Rothrock State Park in State College as I hear there's some pretty sweet trails in that area. Can anyone suggest a good 2-3 hour section to hit? That's about all the time I will have on Saturday afternoon.

Thanks in advance.

xdefx

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
xdefx said:
I will be in central PA (Williamsport) this weekend visiting the fam for Mom's Day and was hoping to ride some part of the Rothrock State Park in State College as I hear there's some pretty sweet trails in that area. Can anyone suggest a good 2-3 hour section to hit? That's about all the time I will have on Saturday afternoon.

Thanks in advance.

xdefx
http://content.mtbr.com/united-states-trails/trails-pennsylvania/PRD_170087_4573crx.aspx

Also, search google for Purple Lizard Maps. Spruce Gap Trail (aka the Edge) is a great one [edit: it's great going DOWN from the tower, I've never tried to climb it. There are several ways to get to the tower, probably the simplest of which is the switchback fire road climb. http://www.purplelizard.com/images/html/biking/littleflat.htm ]

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
XDEF.................Let us know how it was....

Plan on visiting Rothrock to ride the IMBA epic. If you visit the IMBA site (www.imba.com) they have a description. WOuld like to read your thoughs on the trails after you have ridden them. Thanks

·
eci
2,712 Posts
the epic is a 33 mile torture ride of great singletrack laced together on fireroads.

My suggestion is Tussey ridge trail. Drive through state college on Atherton. Follow it to tussey mtn make a right drive up the road keep following it you will pass tussey then the house the the sk8park then on the left will b the parking lot keep going. There will be a road going to the right keep going straight you will follow it up hill slightly park your car on the side of the road where it turns from paved to dirt. There should be a hunting cabin right there. Now you have 2 choices.

A. Tussey ridge trail. Ride up the dirt road about a mile and on your left will b the trail go up the trail (nice and rocky) make a left and ride along tussey ridge for 4-5 miles. there are tons of fun sections on that trail. Rocks downed trees tight singletrack yada yada yada. When you get to the pipeline hang a left and follow the trail down the mtn to the hunters cabin follow the driveway out to the road hand a left to your auto

B. turn around follow the road down to the intersection take a left. take the road upto where you see the nat'l forrest you will go just a little farther and make a left onto the trail. follow it around past the stream and into 3 bridges(fun and tech) keep following that trail to bear meadows trail (ithink thats the name i could be wrong it been a while) make a right follow bear meadows to the base of tussey ridge and follow the ridge back to your truck
This run would be around 13 miles.

Stop at the bike shop on college and buy a map the one i have is pretty worthless but atleast it gives you a good idea of where to go.

Good luck and pm me if ya have any questions

·
Registered
141 Posts
xdefx said:

Thanks in advance.

xdefx
Try posting in the forums at www.nittanymba.org. It is a local mtb club. There is a good chance someone will ride with you.

Good Luck

·
Registered
744 Posts
I got a suggestion for you. do part of the upcoming SS race course. As of last week part of it was blocked by falls, but don't worry there are ways around that section. Plus it will shorten the ride to the duration you want.

I made a copy maps for the proposed course and you can download them at:
https://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/r/c/rcc105/SSRace/SSWC05Maps.htm
The best version is:
https://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/r/c/rcc105/SSRace/TwentyFive.jpg

By the way, the course is probably going to change since we are finishing a new trail this weekend. Hey, would you want to come out for trailwork Sunday?

The blocked portion is Thickheadmountain and Detweller. My suggestion ride Longberger and then the Tussey Mountain trail. After you have a choice; go up Treasture Kettle road - a long fire road climb, or John Wert path - a super super rocky trail that is pretty flat.

After that then do the rest of the course except when you get done with Wildcat Gap, just climb up the road, Laurel Run. Eric is being mean sending people up the one trail to the left, no ss-human can ride it, you have to walk up it.

Most folks will already have finsihed their ride by the time you are looking to start. Either that or like me should only be about 60% done with their 10 hour road ride.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
suhweeeeetttt......

Rothrock rocks, no doubt about it. As described it was very rocky, I had fun for sure and thanked my Heckler a number of times as I got through the rocks. It is a very scenic area, and plenty of trails to choose from. I stopped at the Bicycle Shop and got several routes. I ended up doing the following (I only had about 2 hours to ride, need to go back for sure - thankfully my family is over that way ;) )

Parked at Shingletown Rd Lot
Hiked up to Cruiser's Run, rode that and hooked up with Charcoal Flats, then connected to Lower Laurel Trail and up to Laurel Run Rd. - turned around
Went back down Lower Laurel Trail and hooked up with the Shingleown Trail and bombed back down to the parking lot.

We were riding rather slow as it was our first time on the trail and was looking at the map frequently (and I was sucking wind as usual.....)

This is definitely the spot to ride when I am over in PA!!!!

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
Damn, this post makes me homesick...

Grew up in the State College area. I read these posts, and can actually see what places you're talking about in my head, even though that area's exploded in the last 5-6 years. When I was there, the only big box store we had was Kmart. :p I really miss the trees, fall leaves, Yuengling and cheesesteaks...and Rothrock of course. Of course, I don't miss the humidity or the winters ;) It's nice to be able to ride year-round out here in CO :D

Maybe I can get back next fall. My brother lives on the "family estate" near Black Moshannon SP.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
coolhandluchs said:
Grew up in the State College area. I read these posts, and can actually see what places you're talking about in my head, even though that area's exploded in the last 5-6 years. When I was there, the only big box store we had was Kmart. :p I really miss the trees, fall leaves, Yuengling and cheesesteaks...and Rothrock of course. Of course, I don't miss the humidity or the winters ;) It's nice to be able to ride year-round out here in CO :D

Maybe I can get back next fall. My brother lives on the "family estate" near Black Moshannon SP.
coolhandluchs....CO....I am jealous. I only made it as far west as Cleveland, LOL!!! I grew up in Williamsport, the fam is still over there. I rode the Rock Run Trail over in Black Mo SP back on the day after Thanksgiving, it was a tad chilly with snow on the ground, it was a blast, need to hit that trail in the summer!

I drove back to Cleveland with 5 cases of Yeungling!!! OMG, their Black & Tan is the best, picked up some porter too, deeelicious!! And, to top it off after I rode at Rothrock, my Mom and Dad had cheesesteaks waiting for my brother and I when we got back!!!!

I might get back to Denver for business in the coming months, need to schedule an extra day and ride out there.....

Later..

def

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
xdefx said:
I rode the Rock Run Trail over in Black Mo SP back on the day after Thanksgiving, it was a tad chilly with snow on the ground, it was a blast, need to hit that trail in the summer!
Absolutely! I rode BMSP a couple of times before I moved, and it's a blast. Lots of trails to get lost on. I don't think there's anything that rivals Rothrock, but it's still lots of fun. My family had a couple hundred acre farm, so when I wasn't on campus, I spent a lot of time in the woods on logging roads and deer paths...talk about bushwhacking!

xdefx said:
I drove back to Cleveland with 5 cases of Yeungling!!! OMG, their Black & Tan is the best, picked up some porter too, deeelicious!! And, to top it off after I rode at Rothrock, my Mom and Dad had cheesesteaks waiting for my brother and I when we got back!!!!
Sounds heavenly to me (well, except the Cleveland part :p ) Despite all the microbrews out here, Black & Tan is still hands-down my favorite beer of all time! Next time I drive back east, I'm picking up a few cases.

xdefx said:
I might get back to Denver for business in the coming months, need to schedule an extra day and ride out there.....
Drop me a pm or email, I can set you up with some good trails to check out and some peeps to ride with. Lotsa PA denizens out here.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drop me a pm or email, I can set you up with some good trails to check out and some peeps to ride with. Lotsa PA denizens out here.[/QUOTE]

Right on, will keep that in mind!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.