Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hup, Hup
536 Posts
I usually throw it into my lowest gear and start cranking away while staying seated. Clip back in when you get your rhythm going.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Position your bike

perpendicular to the fall line. Clip-in your power foot and put it in the 1 o'clock position in a low gear. Push off and start to spin; do not worry about your other foot getting clipped in; it's the flailng that throws everyone off and they lose their drive and balance. Just get that other foot on the pedal enough to apply force and keep the spin going. You foot will find it's place in the spin.
You may find that a right handed or left handed approach will work best for you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've found that if I started in the 1 o'clock position that I tended to spin out the wheel and not get started so I do the following:

1) put a foot on the pedal in the forward flat position (3 o'clock)

2) push a bit with my ground foot to get a little momentum

3) do a soft pedal with the foot that is on the pedal already - but not too hard, just enough to keep a slight amount of momentum and spin the pedal to the 1 o'clock position for the other pedal

4) put the ground foot on the pedal and start pedaling

The key is to start gently to get some traction before powering up the hill. Being able to trackstand (or close to it) is also very helpful.

·
Registered
341 Posts
something i have found usefull is placing the second foot on the crank arm which gives me more balance and leverae on the first stroke, and lets me spin on the ball of my foot afterwards to clip in. Is kind of strange and it all started as a mistake but it works wonders for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.