Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I just bought an older 2001 Kona Blast "Ford Edition" frame for a great price. It has scratches which I'm planning on sanding it down, priming, paint, clearcoating it. But that's besides the point. Here's a few questions regarding the wheels and drive train I had for you verterans out there. Also, let me know if my statements are correct. And yes, I already read the faq, and shedon's thing, and a few other resources.

Here's a link to the bike

1. Since it's a complete new build, I have a few options right? I can either get a SS Mtn. hub/wheel so I can avoid all complications of the spacers and conversions. However, I can also get regular Mtn. bike wheels and use the spacers, and casette/cog.

2. If I buy the SS hubs/wheels, would I still need the chain tensioner?

3. Kona hasn't contacted me with the spec sheet I requested yet, but the original bike came with disc brakes. I read, I believe from Sheldon's that it might not be that well suited, I think that only applied to fixed gears, but What are most of you guys running, disc or V?

4. Nashbar right now is selling the single speed hub for $35, how much is it at the LBS to put together a wheel for you? Assuming you have the rims, spokes, and nipples. (I don't have any of the tools including the truing stand)

5. In your opinion, since I don't necessary have a perfect SS frame, what route would you take? Also, what is the cheaper route to take? (I'm a college student)

Thanks. -Ken

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
a few answers for you.
1) you can go dedicated singlespeed wheels or spacers. if budget is your thing then you may be able to p/u a previously loved wheelset with a complete conversion kit cheaper than a new SS set.
2) you have vertical dropouts on that frame. some type of tensioning device - spring loaded or eccentric wheel is required.
3) disc or v will be fine on that bike. as for my choice, i run disc as often as i can. if you can afford it go that route.
4) LBS will probably charge $60-70 for the build, spokes and rim. depending on the quality of parts spec'd.
5) if you have some time, more importantly patience, then take it slow building it up. getting all excited and rushing is a sure fire way to overspend...i know, i have a problem...

·
Registered
459 Posts
azneinstein said:
1. Since it's a complete new build, I have a few options right? I can either get a SS Mtn. hub/wheel so I can avoid all complications of the spacers and conversions. However, I can also get regular Mtn. bike wheels and use the spacers, and casette/cog.

There really are not any complications, when using a geared rear wheel. Add spacers and DX cog, no problems.

2. If I buy the SS hubs/wheels, would I still need the chain tensioner?

Yes, Unless you buy an ENO. On that Kona, you could get lucky with a magic gear. Try 32x18, or 32x16 with a half link.

3. Kona hasn't contacted me with the spec sheet I requested yet, but the original bike came with disc brakes. I read, I believe from Sheldon's that it might not be that well suited, I think that only applied to fixed gears, but What are most of you guys running, disc or V?

I like disc, but V's stop fine too.

4. Nashbar right now is selling the single speed hub for $35, how much is it at the LBS to put together a wheel for you? Assuming you have the rims, spokes, and nipples. (I don't have any of the tools including the truing stand)

It will probably be cheaper to by a geared rear wheel, spacers and a cog. Depending on where you live, I would guess the LBS is going to quote you $100+ w/ you suppling the hub.

5. In your opinion, since I don't necessary have a perfect SS frame, what route would you take? Also, what is the cheaper route to take? (I'm a college student)

I would build an ENO wheel, unless budget is a priority. Then, I would shoot for a magic ratio. "fingers crossed"

Good Luck :D

Thanks. -Ken

·
Registered
305 Posts
nogearshere - When you suggest taking your time to build the bike up, do you suggest buying the parts one at a time and then in the end when everything is collected put everything together?

I was thinking about going that route I'm just curious if other people actually do that, I'm just thinking it would be weird to get something like Disc Brakes if you didn't have the frame or wheelset for them.

I'm sure the excitment factor would be greater as the completed build is getting closer and closer.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Turt99 said:
nogearshere - When you suggest taking your time to build the bike up, do you suggest buying the parts one at a time and then in the end when everything is collected put everything together?

I was thinking about going that route I'm just curious if other people actually do that, I'm just thinking it would be weird to get something like Disc Brakes if you didn't have the frame or wheelset for them.

I'm sure the excitment factor would be greater as the completed build is getting closer and closer.
i was not speaking to you. you should get all worked up and buy everything quickly and at full list.

in truth, if you are patient you can cherry pick sales, closeouts, bay of e. BUT you must accept the fact that the disc brakes are in b/f the frame and the freewheel arrived with no wheels yet...yes you will save some coin...well maybe, unless you blow the savings on freight and duty...

it comes down to budget and your vision of the end build. matching hubs, new frame and other stringent requirements? bite the bullet and get a package. on the cheap with tuition and beer to pay for? take your time and accept the 'fleamarket' build.

NOTE: ask anyone here, flea market builds can be some of the best out there, but some take years to get that way.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Turt99 said:
Yeah thats what I was thinking too.. You can probably save more (and have instant gratification) by getting a package deal on something rather then taking the time to get each part seperate and either picking up or shipping each part.

Pretty Good Sales Pitch.
atta boy.
visa m/c...'they' wouldn't give you credit if 'they' didn't want you to use it...now consume!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.