Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone

Just got myself a new 27.5" FS trail bike!! :thumbsup:

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a starting point for what kind of air pressure I should put in my tires?

Without any equipment I weigh 82 kg.

This is the tires:
Maxxis Ardent EXO TR 2.4
Maxxis High Roller II 2.3

I was thinking about 28-30 PSI?

This is not tubeless.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Tubeless? If so 27 rear, 24 front. You can probably go lower, but this will be safe.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Forgot to mention sorry, it's not tubeless for now. Will probably set it up for tubeless later.
😱. I don't remember that far back. Put in way too much, drop down until you pinch, then add a little. Tubeless now, life is to short to run tubes. Maybe overstated that a bit.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
2.4 tire... you should get away with 25 PSI, HR2 - I'd go around 27 PSI

considering your weight... you could go a couple PSI lower ^^

-------------------------------------
Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
has one & they're usually full of...??

·
Just a flesh wound
2,369 Posts
I weigh 75 Kilos. I ride 18 to 20 PSI front and 22 to 24 back. The tires are 2.3 Neo Motos, set up tubeless. You could go 25 front and 27 rear with tubes, unless you are crushing it downhill through rock gardens, then go tubeless. Easy to do.

·
Magically Delicious
9,197 Posts
2.4 tire... you should get away with 25 PSI, HR2 - I'd go around 27 PSI

considering your weight... you could go a couple PSI lower ^^
Hmmm...at 82 kg (180 lbs.), going any lower on tubes would risk pinch flats. Even 25 - 27 psi might be marginal on tubes at that weight. Those pressures might be fine going tubeless though.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Hmmm...at 82 kg (180 lbs.), going any lower on tubes would risk pinch flats. Even 25 - 27 psi would be marginal on tubes at that weight. Those pressures might be fine going tubeless though.
lol... I'm 220+ all kit'ed up ^^

I run 23psi in my front tire (Conti TK 2.4 - Protection) & 27psi in rear tire (High Roller 2.3 EXO)...

exception, not the rule?

·
Magically Delicious
9,197 Posts
^^^ Are you running tubes? If not, I agree.

Tire pressures really have no rules, but are somewhat contingent on your terrain. If you're aggressively riding rock gardens and such, I would say those are too low (for tubes). Smoother, flowy type trails, then I might agree.

The bottom line is this type of question is silly because everyone has different styles, terrain and techniques. It's a very personal thing. Set a pressure, go ride and adjust to find what works for you and your style. A little trial and error in playing with tire pressures to find what works can be addressed in about 30 minutes. No matter what someone tells you to run, you still have to go through this process if you want to dial things in correctly.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts

Tire pressures really have no rules, but are somewhat contingent on your terrain. If you're aggressively riding rock gardens and such, I would say those are too low (for tubes). Smoother, flowy type trails, then I might agree.

The bottom line is this type of question is silly because everyone has different styles, terrain and techniques. It's a very personal thing. Set a pressure, go ride and adjust to find what works for you and your style. A little trial and error in playing with tire pressures to find what works can be addressed in about 30 minutes. No matter what someone tells you to run, you still have to go through this process if you want to dial things in correctly.
I run tubes... and ride varied terrain ^^

only thing I don't get to ride is desert style riding w/ spikey obstacles....

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
^^^ That's good that you're able to experience the benefits of lower pressures and still run tubes free of pinch flats.
I can get away with running TK 2.4 @ 20 psi ^^ but I prefer a firmer ride...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts

Nailed it..

AZ is rocky. I run 28-30 PSI rear and 26-28PSI front 2.4
' Conti Trail king's. setup tubeless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Perhaps it's a lame question, and it's "stupid".. but still, I state pretty clearly that it's only a starting point. Also, I would like to know the max/lowest pressures that you can do. I had tubeless on my previous bike, and I thought all the fluids was a mess. I like the cleaness of tubes. Still, I will probably go tubeless soon.. For now I ride trail, with everything from roots and some rocks.

I tried 30 PSI front and rear on my last ride, it did work great. Could probably go down to 27 front though.

Anyways, I just want tips. Thats the reason I posted here. It's the first time for me on a FS, I have always used HT.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Start where ever you want... and then go up and down until it suits ^^

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad ™

·
Lone Wolf
1,790 Posts
A good starting baseline Tubed,
Rider weight In FULL gear, In pounds,,divided by 7 =______
Take ____ and add 2 psi for the rear,
Take ____ and subtract 1 psi for the front

Carry two tubes and go down a few psi each ride till you get a snake bite then add 2 psi..

I'm on 27.5 X 2.35 out front and a 2.25 out back weighing in at 185 pounds in gear.
Running a minimum of 26 rear and 24 front felt real good. No snake bite's yet but I did find that going much lower gave me a vague mushy feel I didn't like.

Almost every newbie that asks me for help, has way way too much air.
90% of the time a sub 200 pounder Is running 40 to 45 psi.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
When I started riding I was running 35/38 (f/r)... Partly noob... Majority was piece of shite OEM tires!

My rule of thumb, the larger/tougher the tire the lower you can run it (makes sense!)

My Conti TK 2.4 Protection can be run for me at 220+lbs, riding all sorts of different trails (including some dh stuff) @20-22psi...

My Ardent Race 2.2 (exo/3c) I have to run at 30-32psi (rear use only)

My current rear tire Maxxis HRII 2.3 (exo) I'm running at 27psi. I may end up at 25psi as I've only had a couple of rides on it...

The calculator is a good start, I however go on feel....

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad ™

1 - 19 of 19 Posts