Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking like a new bike is in the cards for later this year (fingers still crossed though...)

Looking at a X-5 in Metalic Blue.

But I'm a XC geek, and have no idea on some appropriate parts for the build.

So any help is appreciated...

Frame Ventana X-5
Fork - Not completely sure. Something like - Marz XC 600/700
Headset Interloc Hope?
Handlebar
Shifters Either XT 8 speed or Paul Thumbies
Brake Lvrs Avid
Brake Avid BB-7 180/160
Seatpost - Maybe different if I need different offset. Then probably Thompson. Salsa Shaft
Front Mech LX
Rear Mech XTR
BB Race Face/Interloc/Phil Wood
Crank Race Face
Chain PC-68
Wheels - Not a clue currently. Only have some XC stuff - Light hubs - 400g rims, not stuff that'll keep up with the X-5.
Cassette Shimano XT
Tires - Not a single clue.

Thanks,

JmZ

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
whatcha gonna use it for? my X5 ranged from a 28 lb (could easily have been lighter) robust all day epic ride/endurance racing machine to a more manly 32 lb AM-ish bike; answer will dictate parts of course and any of us toolz can help put together a corresponding dream build for sure...

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking into something a bit more than XC - I guess that hits the AM category, won't hit freeride or DH status.

I love the XC bike I've got so don't need that type of overlap. But don't see myself airing it out anytime soon. Unless the bike inspires me anyways. (And being a Ventana, it just might.) I'll take a bit of a weight hit for durablity, but within reason. Don't need an anemic 5" bike that'll crack bars or bend rims with the first ride, but don't need something that'll take a 10' to flat either.

Not a huge fan of Manitou or RS... old biases die hard. Magura, Fox, Marz, and other stuff are viable options though. The Ventana site was recomending a 505 A-C height, don't know much of what's in the right range.

thanks,

JmZ

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
JmZ said:
Looking into something a bit more than XC - I guess that hits the AM category, won't hit freeride or DH status.

I love the XC bike I've got so don't need that type of overlap. But don't see myself airing it out anytime soon. Unless the bike inspires me anyways. (And being a Ventana, it just might.) I'll take a bit of a weight hit for durablity, but within reason. Don't need an anemic 5" bike that'll crack bars or bend rims with the first ride, but don't need something that'll take a 10' to flat either.

Not a huge fan of Manitou or RS... old biases die hard. Magura, Fox, Marz, and other stuff are viable options though. The Ventana site was recomending a 505 A-C height, don't know much of what's in the right range.

thanks,

JmZ
Since you won't go RS (great forks BTW ;) ) you could take a look at the new Talas with QR15 for a bit of extra stiffness

I'd recommend you go with a bit wider rims, without huge weight hit...something like DT Swiss 5.1d ... to be able to run big rubber if needed

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Digging out an old thread.

Starting to actually buy parts, a little here and there. Any critiques?

Frame - X-5 Quad bearings and float. Deciding between a stock 17" or a partial custom 15" with 17" top tube.

On a 15" Fuego currently with a 135mm stem and setback seatpost. Fit is perfect for XC as far as I'm concerned, but I like the old school fit of a bike. Thinking going with a 17" and a 110mm stem and no offset post for the newer bike.

Fork - Leaning towards Fox. Talas, Float, or Vanilla. Don't know if I want the 15mm axle or not. QR has not been an issue for steering precision with the Marz I'm running on a different bike. Will be using a 180mm rotor on the front.

Headset - Interloc, Hope, or Cane Creek 110. No experience with any of the three. Using King on the XC bike.

Stem - Hope, Syntace, something else?
Brake Levers - Avid SD or SD Ultimates
Brakes - Avid BB disc 180/160mm
Shifters - Paul thumbies
Post - Salsa shaft or Thompson
Front Mech - LX or XT
Crank - Race Face
BB - Race Face, XT, Phil, Interloc (if the right size)
Pedals - Eggbeaters
Wheels - Velocity Aeroheat or Mountain Goat/DT Swiss 5.1 - Hubs DT Swiss/Hope/other - might depend on fork too. Spokes 14/15 db.

Tires - Schwable Nobby Nics or Ritchey 2.3+
Rear Mech - XTR

Thanks for looking.

JmZ

JmZ said:
Looking like a new bike is in the cards for later this year (fingers still crossed though...)

Looking at a X-5 in Metalic Blue.

But I'm a XC geek, and have no idea on some appropriate parts for the build.

So any help is appreciated...

Frame Ventana X-5
Fork - Not completely sure. Something like - Marz XC 600/700
Headset Interloc Hope?
Handlebar
Shifters Either XT 8 speed or Paul Thumbies
Brake Lvrs Avid
Brake Avid BB-7 180/160
Seatpost - Maybe different if I need different offset. Then probably Thompson. Salsa Shaft
Front Mech LX
Rear Mech XTR
BB Race Face/Interloc/Phil Wood
Crank Race Face
Chain PC-68
Wheels - Not a clue currently. Only have some XC stuff - Light hubs - 400g rims, not stuff that'll keep up with the X-5.
Cassette Shimano XT
Tires - Not a single clue.

Thanks,

JmZ

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
I would definitely go with any type of TA, if possible...you won't know the difference until you ride one ;)

I haven't had my problem with RS forks (I've used a Reba, a Revelation and a Pike)..... but the 32 line from Fox is awesome too

The rest of the build looks pretty good to me... I agree with stripes, XTR only if you must ;)

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Shimano SLX Cranks, best peformance for you $$$.

+1 for TA Fork, once you go thru axe, there's no going back.

I would really put some thought into a nice wheelset. Crossmax SX, and ST are very durable, but a little pricey. XT AM wheelset is priced right. Or a custom builld, DT 5.1s with some nice hubs.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
I agree with Anne on the customization. If you can afford it, it's worth it. My Salty fits like a glove (Reverse of you, 18" TT and a 20" Seattube).

And I can't disagree more on RS. All 3 of mine have been awesome, stiff (Stiffer than the Fox's 32's I've ridden) and almost TOO suppple, still don't like any of the TALAS Forks, as a heavy guy, I blow thru the travel on those too easy. You, however, are on the other side of the spectrum so it might not be an issue. Thru Axle. Yep, get it. Especially for Any fork past 120mm of travel. I'm not sold on the 15mm idea, I think it's pure marketing ploy since they can't get around the SRAM patents with the Maxle, but Any TA is better.

Making an assumption here, but if you're going bigger travel, you're going to be going faster and harder at stuff right? Icegeek's right. We can't let you ride a cable brake.
I was a big fan of the BB7's, ran them on my old Salty, then I got M4's on the Bruja, wow, what a huge difference, Modulation AND power. Switched to Mono Mini's for the Salt (180/160 as well) now and everything the BB7's did, they do better with less fade, and even less fiddling to adjust.

Well that's my inflation corrected $.02 worth...

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
525 Posts
I may be reading this wrong. Do you already have the X-5 or are you planning on purchasing? You mentioned you are more on the XC side of the fence so I wondered if you had even looked at the El Ciclon? Both are incredible bikes but possibly it would fit more with your riding style? I think the Ciclon goes whichever way you want it to go; XC or all moutain. Either way, you will have one solid bike.:thumbsup:

·
CEO Product Failure
2,182 Posts
Kinda ot, kinda not; started purchasing for a new build for the spousal unit's 36th BD:

Ventana Salts, custom paint (pro womens baby blue metalic), RP23, painted rear triangle, quad bearings, to be ordered in Oct. Dumb as it sounds her bd isnt until mid Nov and it'll be harder than heck to hide this

Fork: Fox F100 or Talas 32. Haven't decided here. The vote swings in favor of the F100 b/c its white.

Drivetrain & Brakes: Avid J7's, SRAM X9
Crank/BB: Truvativ Hussefelt
Pedals: Time ATAC XE's
Seat post/stem/handlebar: FSA Carbon something or other
Headset: Pink CK
Saddle: SDG TiFly
Grips: Ergon
Tires: WTB 2.1 Weirwolve Race
Wheels: FSA XC 300's

I think that's it; I've got everything 'cept the fork and frame stacked in the corner of my office. 2 months to hide/gather/assemble the rest. Gettin' giddy. This'll be her first completely new bike ever. In our 20 yrs of cycling, she's always gotten hand-me-downs, or frame overs. Its a complete build, so she will no doubt be dumb struck with surprise. I'll post some pic's when the time comes. Its also my first, complete non-shitmano build evah. Hard to believe, I know.

Her current ride is a lime, 2002/2003 Blur. Well past its life for her.

-B

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Phishin Paul said:
I may be reading this wrong. Do you already have the X-5 or are you planning on purchasing? You mentioned you are more on the XC side of the fence so I wondered if you had even looked at the El Ciclon? Both are incredible bikes but possibly it would fit more with your riding style? I think the Ciclon goes whichever way you want it to go; XC or all moutain. Either way, you will have one solid bike.:thumbsup:
Got a Fuego currently (that I love), and looking at the X-5, pretty soon hopefully. Like the ability for the X-5 to be burly, the standover, and I like the way it looks. :) The Fuego hasn't let me down yet, but a (very) few times I have reined in instead of attacking. And now that I'm closer to mountains - I might see some bigger hills than Northern Indiana.

And to answer a few q's -

Already have an extra XTR mech or two. So it's essentially free.
Already have an extra set of RF Turbine cranks. So it's again, almost free.
Forks - I've played with Amp's, Marz, and have been very underwhelmed when I've RS forks I've had in the past.

Don't know about the customization. I'm short in the legs, longer torso. But the X-5 frame already accodiates that. Pretty sure on the quad bearings and custom paint though.

Brakes - I like the simplicity of cable brakes. Should be able to buy replacement parts at almost any shop. Also don't want to bleed and learn anew how to fix brakes. (If the thumbies were not a big enough clue - I'm still fighting retro-grouch tendencies. ;) ) I'm running a 160/140 Avid BB cable brake combo right now on the XC bike.

JmZ

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
JmZ said:
Forks - I've played with Amp's, Marz, and have been very underwhelmed when I've RS forks I've had in the past.
RS forks are not like their forks of the past. If you want Burly, get a Lyrik U-turn, wind it down to 140 to match the rear, feel the power of a big bad fork! If that's too pork, search out a Pike or Revelation.

Really Man, if you going for a new frame, show it some love, top end fork, and wheels.

RF turbines, square taper or ISIS? Are they new? They fetch a good dollar on fleebay, or a classified posted in the weight weenie forum.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Don't worry about the mechanical disc brakes, imo. They have less modulation, but are also much less hassle and much cheaper.

I have to agree on the fork though. If you are dead set against the Pike, I would take a look at the Fox...either a Float or Talas 32.

As far as wheels, i feel like right now is a great time to go with Hope hubs, because they are fairly inexpensive and can be adapted to a 20mm thru axle, 15mm thru axle, or regular QR skewer.

Who knows what the front axle standard will be in a few years or what you will want in a few years....gives ultimate flexibility. Throw some DT hoops on there and you are good to go.

Happy building! :)

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I love my X-5. Went with the 6" rockers and stock RP23 shock length. The fork is the White Brothers Fluid 140. The rest is a mix of XT cranks, Magura Martas, usual Thomson goodies, Syncros Bulk bars, King headset, WTB saddle and King 20mm front/King heavy duty bolt on rear laced to DT Swiss 5.1 rims. Weighs in right at 30 pounds.

As for the fork...It's noticebaly stiffer than anything I've had in the past (Early model Fox Float RLC and older Answer stuff) but it was pretty sticky out of the box. I talked to White Brothers about this and with a few suggested tweaks on the air pressure it has improved immensely and the more I ride it the better it seems to get. So far I have about 20-25 hours on it and have been told to give it time. So far I'm pretty happy though. Plus it's really nice to be able to pick up the phone and talk to somebody at WB that knows what they are talking about, can't say that about RS. Fox seems to be good on tech too.

Picked the whole package up through Chad at Red Barn. Nothing but good service from this guy.

Here is a crummy pic on it's maiden voyage.

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
I have HATED Rock Shox forks for YEARS - I have run Fox vanilla RLC and all kinds of Mazocchi forks.
after MONTHS of research and tons of forum questions and lots of Good advice from Larry at mountain high - I went with the
454 PIKE air U-turn
the best fork I have ever used hands down - it just has so many ways to tune it to your personal preference. It is a super easy fork to set up and it just works so damn well. The Maxle system is very stiff and easier than a quick release fork.
Since I built my Ciclon with the Pike my vanilla rlc feels a bit mushy and doesn't track half as well.

you owe it to your new frame to try one out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
wow, really nice ride Old House Man! :eek:

curious what your actual bottom bracket height is with the 6" rockers and 2" stroke shock on the X5.

any chance for a full ride report and more pix? sorry if i missed this....

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
uinta said:
wow, really nice ride Old House Man! :eek:

curious what your actual bottom bracket height is with the 6" rockers and 2" stroke shock on the X5.

any chance for a full ride report and more pix? sorry if i missed this....
Not sure what the bottom bracket sits at right now, but I'll measure it.

I should have some profesional pics after this weekend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.