Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a beginer training plan. I'm in a team (4 team) 24hour 'race' next May. The event takes place on light MTB track each circuit is around 8K.

My aim it really to be able to participate fully and enjoy it rather than aim for number of laps etc etc. for the majoirty of the participants its a fun rather than racing event (if you know what I mean)

I commute every day around 4k each way. But am feeling pretty daunted by the prospect of a 24hr and want to make sure I can pull my weight!

Tips appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
do you do any other riding other than the 4 k commute?

you will need to start building your fitness. riding often, riding longer (2 hours plus at a time would be good), with some structure would help.

if all you want to do is participate and enjoy it, keep things simple.

you could use the "search" feature to find out more about training plans. good luck.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I’ve done three 24 hour races, and it think it comes down to four main things:

1. Fitness
a. Having the history in your legs to cover the required time, distance, format, and intensity of the race. Lots of big engine riding required: Tempo and Sweet Spot is the ticket, I believe.

2. Handling Skills
a. Bike commuting won’t cut it. Need to get on the MTB and practice the required skill – related to #4 below
b. Practice off road riding at night. That is a unique skill in itself, and I’m starting to get better at it. (10% slower at night, rather than 20+%)

3. Race logistics
a. What to eat, what time to eat, where to sleep, how to get to laps on time, how to stay warm and dry, lights, etc. I still haven’t gotten this down good yet; I really have a lot of problems at night: staying warm while ensuring sufficient caloric intake. I typically sleep in the back of an SUV which doesn't help.

4. Specificity
a. At least once, a few weeks prior to the race, I do my own abbreviated race. Maybe 2-3 1.5 hour laps on my local trail, several hours apart, with a night lap of course. That way I can practice my routine a few times, and get the body used to riding the 24 hour ride-format. Train like you race!!

Check the 24 hour, endurance forum. They probably have good info.

·
Banned
822 Posts
formybike said:
I'm looking to build a beginer training plan. I'm in a team (4 team) 24hour 'race' next May. The event takes place on light MTB track each circuit is around 8K.

My aim it really to be able to participate fully and enjoy it rather than aim for number of laps etc etc. for the majoirty of the participants its a fun rather than racing event (if you know what I mean)

I commute every day around 4k each way. But am feeling pretty daunted by the prospect of a 24hr and want to make sure I can pull my weight!

Tips appreciated!!
Ride a hell of a lot more than 8km a day, first and foremost.

Even in a social, easy going atmosphere, if you're truly pulling your weight, and assuming an average pace of 15km/h, that's 360km total, and 90km a person. That's 10 times what you do in an average day, and many of those kilometers will be when you're tired, sore, and it's very dark.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I don't think you fully comprehend what you're getting yourself in to, if you ride 8km a day.

Really.

You need to reevaluate the feasibility of this goal given your current fitness, and also take into account the potential health risks for a person with little to no fitness, or skill.

·
SonyaLooney
92 Posts
Go to http://www.ride424.com. Lots of great information on here.

Definitely start riding more regularly, perhaps add some miles onto your commute to start. Then, you should start actually going out for training rides, building slowly. I know that is not very specific. I would also suggest doing a few shorter events before you do the 24 hour race - like a beginner or sport XC race to get ready for doing short laps at a harder effort.

Something that would have been a great help to me before I did a 24 hour race would be to go practice night riding on trails.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Give it a whirl! Eat, drink, ride, and be merry....that is what a 4 man team is all about. As long as all 4 team riders have the same goals, you should have no problems. I would get together with your teammates a couple weekends before the race and go out and ride trail for a few hours. Look at it as a bonding moment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the help guys, some good ideas. Just to clarify I'm not expecting to jump straight into the event from 8k commuting, hence the question. It now being December and the event being in May am I being too ambitious thinking I can put together a training plan to survive the event? My gut feel is if I approach it right and have the right advice I can do it. I going to hunt down some of the guys from work who did the same event last year and see if they can guide.

We also have the option of a 12 hour ride, but don't want to come away wishing we'd got more involved and done the full thing

·
New MTB XC Racer
253 Posts
Try these couple posts as well.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=461285
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=459943
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=411852

I'd say you can increase your placing 10-15% just in some simple logistics.

1.) Lights. Make sure you have lights that work with enough battery/charging capacity for 3 laps, say 1.5 hrs a lap (research past years at event for avg lap times).
Check to see if you will have electricity to charge or make appropriate preparations.
Fiddling with wires and mounts and dead batteries WILL cost you time.

2.) Rider Schedule. Make sure you have at least a clipboard and a clock on camp. Have an order for the race and at least chat about what happens if a rider can't ride for any reason and how you are going to make adjustments.
Make sure that the next rider is ready and waiting at the start line. This is where the clipboard and clock comes in. Write down your lap times and make a rough estimation of when you will be doing your next laps.

If it gets wet and muddy try clean off your drive train as soon as you get in from your lap. A clogged idler in the derailleur can cause poor shifting and broken chains(trust me I know, 3 times in a lap:()

For your night laps everyone may want to do two laps back to back to allow longer sleep time.
An option I think this may work wonderfully for a 4 man team is
A.) race a lap
B.) rest a lap and do lights, eat, clean bike
C.) race a lap, then come in eat and clean bike and sleep while others continue this same routine
This should give you 3 laps of sleep which could be over 4 hours and still give you time to get up and warmed up to start the day off again.

Remember its for fun in the end so don't sweat it :)

p.s. make sure to stay hydrated while on and off the bike and bring extra ice ! ! !

Cheers,

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
train like you race and race like you train......more or less, something like that.

so unless you are in a ride to work race, you need to get on the dirt and at night is a good idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.