Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He just got his first mountain bike for his 11th birthday (a lime green iron horse) and is now finally starting to try actual "sport" riding, as in not just using the bike to get around the neighborhood and trying to ride over things and do tricks. I think it's time to take him to an easy local trail and get him used to riding.

Problem: He loves the phrase "I can't" and give up very easily. He is extremely skiddish when it comes to any difficult terrain or anything that could potentially make him fall, basically he has the exact opposite approach that I had at his age. I'm looking for ideas to make it easier to introduce him to biking and make him a more confident rider. I know many of your have got your children into riding so you'll have many useful tips for me.

He's a cute kid... used to be a paintballer! (if you are familiar with pbnation, and have been for a while, he is AGG SUPERSTAR)
This is him about 2 years ago:

And about a year ago:

lol
https://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/Pattino/?action=view&current=MOV00012.flv

·
Avenger of Evil
577 Posts
Have him ride with a group of kids around his age. They will "feed" off of each other and not want to stop. If you have a club with a youth program, that would be great. Stop frequently for water and snacks. I use Sport Beans (JellyBelly) as rewards to keep going. Just make sure they are having fun.
After a couple of rides like this, my son is buggin' me to go and ride.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmm, I wonder If a scenario woodsball game on mountain bikes would be possible? bombing downhill chasing someone and shooting paintballs at each other! I use to play paintball, I miss it but I dont miss the cost. Paintball has a high startup cost and it can cost a $100 a day just to play. Mountain biking has a high start up cost but once you have your bike and gear its pretty much free to hit the trails.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Don't push your brother too hard. Trust me on that point, as I've learned it the hard way with my own kids. (I could recite a laundry list of my own mistakes in this area). If your bother wants to walk a section of trail, then get off your bike and walk it with him. If he's intimidated by a trail, then find something easier. He'll ride with you if you keep it fun (for him). If every time he rides with you he gets pressure to perform, then it won't be fun, and he'll quit.

Don't worry about him being skittish either. We are all afraid of different things. I'm scared at the thought of technical, rock climbing. I've no interest in hanging from a sheer wall at te end of a belay rope. But, OTOH, show me a cave entrance, and I'll happily crawl for miles underground without so much as a second thought about the danger. It's all down to what one is afraid of. Keep it fun.

And I'll second the suggestion to get other kids involved. My son, for example, rides longer and faster when one of his friends is along. They don't necessarily compete, but they do feed off of the fun of riding together.

Good luck!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Your bro looks like such a troublemaker! He should be fine on the trails.

Make a habit of having him ride ahead from time to time you so you can offer pointers about technique. And witness the better crashes! ;)

·
slightly strange
97 Posts
I'd keep to easier rides until he's confident. When he starts getting bored, that's when you should start taking him to some more difficult stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mission accomplished. I took him once with just me and him and I found out he has no stamina at all. We went 1.5 miles and he was about to die. He did really good for the first mile and was doing alot of stuff I didn't expect to see him doing. He actually had alot of fun althoguh you wouldn't have guessed it seeing him stalking back to the car unable to communicate anything other than a moan.

He asked to go again today and I told him to bring a friend. He wanted to show off and was trying to do the technical stuff and I think they really helped him find his balance on the bike. He did the same 1.5 miles without a problem then wanted to go back to the harder areas to practice for about 30 more minutes.

I'm sure he'll start riding alot more now. Since I took him he went from being about to pull his front wheel off the ground about 4 inches followed by an "I can't" when attempting to wheelie to being able to complete a confident wheelie for about 10 feet. And he is working on his bunny hope. With the assistance of a sidewalk curb he can get his rear wheels about 4-5 inches off the ground now.

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
Good to hear it!

I'm trying to do the same thing, basically, except with my little sister, who is also a big fan of "I can't" and is 10 years old.

The first thing the poor kid needs is a bike that actually fits her. :p

Anyway, this thread has been a great help to me, so I just wanted to say thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.