Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of starting to ride more since running is killing my knee. I have a specialized rockhopper probably bought about 9 years ago. When I went to ride it seems my shifters are not fully shifting and it was causeing the gears to slip and I couldnt even get it to go past the forth largest sprocket in the rear. The shifters and derailer are shimano deor. I had it tuned about a year ago and rode twice and then the bike went into storage. Maybe i just need another adjustment, but this thing has never seemed to shift solidly between gears. Is it worth replacing the delrailer / shifters if that is what is recomended by shop on a bike this old

·
Registered
41 Posts
Put it in the bin, and get something that works.
Seriously tho, you need to decide if it's worth fixing or binning...as the price of fixing could equate to the price of a new bike sometimes.
Cycling will irritate your knee too.
Mabe consider swimming?

·
Single Track Mind
639 Posts
I woulnd't worry too much about replacing stuff on this bike unless the LBS tells you that the components are broken. I would, however, change cables and housing to facilitate crisp shifting. After two to three rides, it will need a slight tune-up to compensate for normal cable stretch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts