Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, great forum here. I love all of the weight loss stories, they are very encouraging. I used to ride my old rockhopper somewhat regularly and was pretty decent at mtn biking, but I've let those skills go. So basically I'm looking for some tips or stories of how people got back into shape.

I've gone riding 3 weekends in the last month, and each time I've kicked my own ass pretty bad. The thing is that my legs can do the work, I just run out of steam endurance-wise. It has also been pretty warm here the last few weeks which doesn't help.

The last two rides I've done I've ended up with some pretty crappy head aches and just took most of the day to get back into a normal feeling mode after a morning ride. Sunday's ride I actually pushed hard enough to almost pass out! So I need some guidance here:

• What is a good meal to eat prior to a ride?
  • How much water should I be drinking and how often? (Just assume I'm sweating profusely)
  • What's a good way to meter my activity to not feel like I'm going to pass out? Obviously I want to push myself to get good exercise, but I don't want to push so hard that I feel like I'm going to die.

Any tips or stories about how people got back in the swing of these would really help. Thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Treat cycling like any other form of working out. Carbohydrates and protein both before and after exercise will do wonders in helping your recovery. Personally I have been going with apple juice mixed with protein powder before and then blending apple juice, protein powder and a banana as well as eating raisins post workout.

As far as water goes it really depends on how much you lose during the ride. A generally accepted way to check this is to weigh yourself before and after rides. If you have been properly hydrating you should at least weigh the same. If you weigh less after the ride then you should be hydrating more during the ride.

As for the feeling like you are going to pass out it should only get better with time. You will have to do your best balacing pushing yourself and not actually passing out. Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water during the day. I have found if I slack on my daily water intake a pay for it during activities later on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I think maybe I need more water, but it almost feels like I'm drinking it constantly. The cool thing though about biking in comparison to something like running is that I feel like going the extra distance. Where with running I'll give up long before I get to that point and time where I feel like I'm going to puke.

Maybe it's the promise of a nice downhill :)

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I would eat something clean and not too heavy pre-ride. During the ride take some fruit...maybe a peanut/almond butter sandwich and eat half at a time. Nothing worse than riding with a bunch of food sloshing around in your belly.

Water...take as much as you can and drink often even if not thirsty. Sip some during easy stretches or after a tough climb or everytime you take a breather at the top of a hill. I can easily take in over 100 oz or water on a ride and still want more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts