Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to learn how to fix and maintain bikes of my customers in my future dream bike shop. I really so far have no clue about fixing things except the basics like brakes and the rest, so I need to start learning somewhere. Where should I start? Please no flaming, only helpful info, thanks.

Shredder111:cool:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
personally i would work in a tech shop in a bike shop before ii opened up my own...a great place to start is go to your lbs and ask for last years training guide/manual...they are soo helpfull, and most of it is in layman terms

then i would completley take apart my bike and do a full tune on it, repack berings, bromide bath for cogs and chains and everything, regrease every bering joint, just do everything possible to your own bike and learn about it.

then i wold start doing small repairs out of your garage then rent a shop when you have all your tools and stands, then hire other poeple

have fun and it will probably take a while to learn about your bike

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Work in a shop, before owning a shop. There is no better way to learn how to wrench on bikes, and get the expirience you need. Plus it's a lot different then the dream job some people imagine it to be. That being said, someday I'll have a shop because it is my dream job.

·
Registered
53 Posts
there are also a few "bike schools" that shows you bike repair and a lil insight into owning a shope one is United Bicycle Institute Out in Oregan, i went and it was a great experience, they teach you almost everything you need to know to be a mechanic. But then again real world experience is the best, but that also doesnt pay very much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.