Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

First post here and my first real bike!! I have recently started cycling again, mainly my daily commute. I got a cheaper mtb for basic riding. I then got invited out to do some trails and the bug bit, but I found the bike lacking...

So...

Today I picked by my new StumpJumper Comp. Tonight is my first ride, plus my first time ever with clipless pedals and shoes, so that should be interesting!!

Heres to a long, good time with my SJ.

·
Registered
174 Posts
congrats on the purchase. Your story sounds similar to mine.

Some things I've learned after almost a year of riding. Expect to fall several times tonight on your first ride, that is unless the trail you are riding is not technical at all. Practice unclipping over and over. Also, it won't hurt to remind yourself to twist don't pull (to unclip) when entering any technical section. All this is assuming you are using SPD type pedals.

Good luck, have fun, and don't get discouraged.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
practice the pedals on grass, or the trail - not in a concrete parking lot (spoken from experience of course) you might even want to wear some pads/armor (never a bad idea really)

momentum is your friend
have fun

·
Registered
121 Posts
adjust the tension on the pedals too.

make sure the release tension is set to a comfortable level. Eventually you will have to tighten them up much more to prevent early release - but start off with them really loose so you dont have to worry about being able to come out. It will be much easier than the old ratraps.

have fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.