Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eeek! I was going to remove the stop spacer above my stem, and I found that the starnut (or whatever it's called) was weird. I think that's what was making funny noises on my last ride :(

I'm attaching the photos. I'm fearing that I need a special tool to fix this, but I would like any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
mateoway said:
about a half inch or so
As for the tool, I'd just use a #1 philips head screwdriver that isn't that important to you. I have one that's been designated as a 'star nut installer'. :)

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
THose giuys use a philips head screwdriver and a hammer. I prefer a nut driver of the appropriate size and a hammer.

·
high plains drifter
388 Posts
if you use a screw driver be very careful keeping the star nut straight .if it is out of alignment you will have a hard time getting the top cap bolt to thread on .the proper tool is called a star nut setter. Or because yours is hanging out so far you might be able to yank it out and get one of the new wedges I think they are made by profile for about $15 from your lbs.you can use them over and over on different forks, as the pop right out when you loosen them

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bikehigh said:
THose giuys use a philips head screwdriver and a hammer. I prefer a nut driver of the appropriate size and a hammer.
Hmmm.. nut driver. Never tried that.

PS - what kind of stem is that? From what I can see in the pics it looks pretty attractive.

EDIT: Ah, nut driver as in the official star nut driver... For some reason I was thinking you were speaking of a regular nut driver. Must be really late in the day though as I have no idea how someone woulld install a star nut with a conventional nut driver!

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shawn595 said:
PS - what kind of stem is that? From what I can see in the pics it looks pretty attractive...
Actually, it's a pretty nice stem from Vital, I have no idea on how good the brand is, but it costed me about 18 bucks, it's pretty light and 4 bolt for the handlebar cap....

·
Registered
300 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
Actually, it's a pretty nice stem from Vital, I have no idea on how good the brand is, but it costed me about 18 bucks, it's pretty light and 4 bolt for the handlebar cap....
That's a great deal! I'm looking for one in exactly that size 90mm x 10degrees but I'm not hitting on much by googling 'Vital' stem. :) Can you give me any more clues?

Thx!

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
Here's how I install the nut...

I've done this several times and it works. Get a bolt that fits the star nut but don't use the top cap bolt, add washers or some sort of spacer that will fit inside the starnut (about 1" wide). I use a metal sleeve spacer I got at the hardware store. Thread the bolt with the several washers and make sure the head is above the stem and the washer is against the star nut. Start tapping the bolt until the starnut becomes seated, do your best to keep it even. You can tap with a wide flat screwdriver against the wings of the starnut to slightly straighten it out. Be patient and gentle, it may take awhile but don't rush it by hitting it too hard. Once in, start tapping the bolt and washer with a metal hammer and carefully monitor that it is going in straight. Thats it.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shawn595 said:
That's a great deal! I'm looking for one in exactly that size 90mm x 10degrees but I'm not hitting on much by googling 'Vital' stem. :) Can you give me any more clues?

Thx!
Maybe you can try Raceface Evolve. It's around 36 bucks, 96 rise and 90mm. In speedgoat:

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=107287

Actually, I had one like that (Race Face) but it was 110 and I wanted something shorter.

I don't really know much about Vital, but I found it at a race in Puebla, but I've also seen them in a LBS in Mexico. I don't know if it's a big brand someplace or just a small brand.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
johnnyb said:
I've done this several times and it works. Get a bolt that fits the star nut but don't use the top cap bolt, add washers or some sort of spacer that will fit inside the starnut (about 1" wide). I use a metal sleeve spacer I got at the hardware store. Thread the bolt with the several washers and make sure the head is above the stem and the washer is against the star nut. Start tapping the bolt until the starnut becomes seated, do your best to keep it even. You can tap with a wide flat screwdriver against the wings of the starnut to slightly straighten it out. Be patient and gentle, it may take awhile but don't rush it by hitting it too hard. Once in, start tapping the bolt and washer with a metal hammer and carefully monitor that it is going in straight. Thats it.
Thanks. Actually, I did use a flat screwdriver to gently position again the starnut right and then pushed it in with a philips..... :)

·
bang
1,290 Posts
or, just don't use a starnut. get yourself a long threaded rod (has to be long enough to go through both ends of the steerer), a couple of washers and a couple of wingnuts. same principle of adjusting the headset; tighten the wingnuts until the headset bearings are snug properly, fully tighten the stem and then remove. no starnut, top cap or bolt needed.

·
silly person
629 Posts
Cyco-Dude said:
or, just don't use a starnut. get yourself a long threaded rod (has to be long enough to go through both ends of the steerer), a couple of washers and a couple of wingnuts. same principle of adjusting the headset; tighten the wingnuts until the headset bearings are snug properly, fully tighten the stem and then remove. no starnut, top cap or bolt needed.

Or you could use that principle to wind the star nut in. Then you could keep the nice looking topcap, rather than looking at your wheel through the steerer tube.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,750 Posts
What would be really sweet

Cyco-Dude said:
If the steerer were threaded and the stem would slide down and tighten up against the headset. Then you could get rid of the long threaded rod, the washers and the wingnuts. How sweet would that be?

Why in the world would you want to replace the star nut with your set up? To add weight?

Ken

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
That's one way, but would not only look like a hack job, but add extra weight to boot. I'd rather do it right or not at all.

·
EDR
10,011 Posts
Hey Shawn595. Jensonusa has the RF Evolve XC stem 90mm at 6 or 10 degrees (not sure) for 25 BUCKS right now! great deal!

EDIT: its $25 for the 31.8mm bar clamp, $40 for the smaller version...

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
Shawn595 said:
EDIT: Ah, nut driver as in the official star nut driver... For some reason I was thinking you were speaking of a regular nut driver. Must be really late in the day though as I have no idea how someone woulld install a star nut with a conventional nut driver!
I was speaking of using a regular nut driver. I think the 1/4 inch size works well. The wall of the driver's socket sits in the well of the star nut while you're driving it into the steerer tube, the same way that the shoulder of the star nut driver would. There's just no threaded portion to keep it centered. This way there's no risk of damaging the threads or even jamming your screwdriver in the threads if you use a philips head.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts