Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fork that I ended up trimming the steerer length after I already had a star nut installed. So I pounded it in enough to cut the steered and then set the depth using a park star nut setter.

While trying to track down a noise coming from the stem area, I realized that the star nut was actually starting to pull out. If I screwed my setter in, rather than being flush with the top of the steerer, it was now 3-4 mm above the steerer.

So I drilled that star nut out and installed another one. That one went in more crooked than I felt okay with, and so I also drilled that one and then finally got one to go in straight.

So now the area inside the steerer where these star nuts were installed is looking pretty hammered. If the outside of the steerer is fine but the inside looks like my photos, could there still be a chance for stress cracks to form?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I doubt, that's just scratching the surface not causing any actual structural damage, these days we can safely thread the steerer tube to install the one up edc and that takes more material from the steerer tube than a few star nut install attempts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.