Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
turnerover said:
A friend mentioned product he thought could be bought at a local craft store taht works as well as stans. Anyone have knowledge?
Liquid latex, I believe is what it's called. Do a search in the wheels & tires forum for more info. As for me, why bother when you can just buy Stan's and they last as long as you have the tire on your bike. That's right, I never have to refill my UST-UST set-up (no non-UST to UST conversions, too much mess and trouble).

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
since we're talking about stan's...i had some unfortunate slow leakage of air from my back tire on my last ride.:madman: UST kenda nevy (tire looks fine...no bubbles, worn parts, etc) on 819 rim...i think it just didn't seat properly after i topped it off with stan's...but i'm a little worried about using too much pressure to do that...don't want stan's jizm to blow up in my face :eek:...i'm thinking of taking the tire off, and washing and scrubbing off all the stans :rolleyes:...what are your thoughts???

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
dHarriet said:
.don't want stan's jizm to blow up in my face :eek:...i'm thinking of taking the tire off, and washing and scrubbing off all the stans :rolleyes:...what are your thoughts???
Yeah, a Stan's facial sounds like a bad thing to me. But that's just me.

Have you checked your rim for dings or flat spots that could affected how well the bead seals? I don't think you'd need to scrub off all the stuff off the inside, but the Stan's boogers around the bead might need to be peeled off if you're, uh, mounting the tire again.

·
Custom User Title
717 Posts
dHarriet said:
since we're talking about stan's...i had some unfortunate slow leakage of air from my back tire on my last ride.:madman: UST kenda nevy (tire looks fine...no bubbles, worn parts, etc) on 819 rim...i think it just didn't seat properly after i topped it off with stan's...but i'm a little worried about using too much pressure to do that...don't want stan's jizm to blow up in my face :eek:...i'm thinking of taking the tire off, and washing and scrubbing off all the stans :rolleyes:...what are your thoughts???
I would try bringing the pressure up to at least 60 lbs first to see if you hear the bead popping. If you do this should be enough. Leave at that pressure and ride around on pavement for a couple of minutes. Then let the bike sit for a while at the higher pressure. I like to do this in the evening to let it sit over night. I usually have to air it back up to my desired pressure (32 front-40 lbs rear) in the morning and everything is fine after the first ride. I lose a couple of lbs a week. This is all done with 819 rims and non-ust tires.

If this doesn't work and you have to start from scratch I think your idea of cleaning everything out is good. When remounting the tire dab your finger in stans and rub it around the bead to slick it up for setting. This method is better than soap because it is a guarantee that you won't contaminate the stans. Overinflating with an air compressor is the key to getting the bead set.

Good luck.

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
dpdsurf said:
I would try bringing the pressure up to at least 60 lbs first to see if you hear the bead popping. If you do this should be enough. Leave at that pressure and ride around on pavement for a couple of minutes. Then let the bike sit for a while at the higher pressure. I like to do this in the evening to let it sit over night.
i followed this protocol exactly when i topped off the stan's...everything was fine that night, and it held air fine until the next morning. i let some air out at the trail head...to get it down to 45psi...and even then everything was fine until about 1 hour into the ride. then i had to stop and add air all the time...pain in the arse! :rolleyes:
If this doesn't work and you have to start from scratch I think your idea of cleaning everything out is good. When remounting the tire dab your finger in stans and rub it around the bead to slick it up for setting. This method is better than soap because it is a guarantee that you won't contaminate the stans. Overinflating with an air compressor is the key to getting the bead set. Good luck.
i think i'll try this next! :thumbsup::)

and CSD...the rims are fine...no dings...i'm thinking there are stan's boogers preventing the tire from seating properly...and i'm in agreement...stan's facial...just say no...:nono:

thanks so much for the advice boys! :)

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
dHarriet said:
I never had luck with UST Kenda tires, they all seemed to loose a little too much air. I use maxxis USTs (High Roller and Larsen TT) and they hold air very well.

dH, you may also need to clean the air valve as it can get contaminated with dirt and stans.

G

·
Salvation is at hand:

http://www.yestubes.com/

Follow up:

Can the "dharriet" thing ever post in complete sentences and/or without a battalion of smarmy emoticons?

It makes "cactuscorn" seem almost normal, which is an amazing feat.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
dHarriet said:
i followed this protocol exactly when i topped off the stan's...everything was fine that night, and it held air fine until the next morning. i let some air out at the trail head...to get it down to 45psi...and even then everything was fine until about 1 hour into the ride. then i had to stop and add air all the time...pain in the arse! :rolleyes:
DH, kind of off topic but why do you ride your tires at such high pressure? I would think that at your weight 25-30psi should be hanky dory and would allow you to run a smaller tire with the same traction you are experiencing now, saving a fair bit of weight in the process. Isn't that the point of tubeless tires? That and not having to pull cactus thorns out of them every two minutes where you ride, I guess :)

Just a thought ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.