Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
What's up Dut?
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stan's wheels have been getting a lot of good press right now. I am finding it hard to actually find some good un-biased reviews. So, does anyone out there have any experience with a set of his wheels recently? I need your thoughts.

The pros:
~Lightweight
~UST compatible

The cons:
~No eyelets in the rim
~Race day wheels only - not everyday wheels???
~Too lightweight???

Thanks!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Stans wheels

My experience is with a set of rim brake wheels, DT hubs, revolution spokes (the lighter ones, 15/18). 28 spokes front and 32 rear. I ride XC and weigh around 165 lb. My opinion is that these can be everyday wheels for careful riders. You must touch them up every once in awhile, and it is much better to be a finesse rider with them. If one is over 180 lb, and/or a rider without skill, it would be better to have a a stouter build.
Like any lighweight parts, they need to be used with care and not abused, if you do so I believe they are fine for everyday riding.

·
Pudgy Old Guy
538 Posts
I'm using the ...

even weaker 29er olympic version as my everyday wheelset. I weigh around 200 lbs and have had no problems so far (after 9 months). It will be interesting to see how long they last.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm pretty light, 155ish and don't ride anything crazy, ie no drops and more xc with a little all mountain but mostly xc/xterra type training racing. I've been running the Olympic built up with the WTB/AMClassic hubs for about a year now with no problems at all. The shallow beadlock had me really sketched out at first but I have had zero problems with them and they air up super easy with any tubeless tire. I have a few friends who bash on them freeriding on a regular basis on their Specialized Enduros and they have had zero problems as well. I'm guessing eventually they'll crack around the spoke holes but the rims are cheap and they're holding up great so far.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
stans wheels Good

I've been using Stand Olympic rims for about 18months.
They are very light and I believe the strength for the weight is excellent.

I have not been able to keep the rear absolutely true for longer than 3 months but that could be due to myuse of an XTR rear disc hub which does not have very high flanges, meaning you need long spokes to buld the wheel. I believe that hubs used by American Classic and Industry Nine address this issue quite nicely.

I will be switching to NoTubes XTR355 rims very shortly since I beleive these offer more lateral strength while the vertical strength is better taken care of by correct construction.

I have not had a single problem with there being no eyelets in the rims, in fact these ims show no signs of undue stress in this area, ie somebody did their homework.

Now Idon;t really want to endorse a product which I receive no compensation for but they are very good for the weight.:thumbsup:

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
POG said:
even weaker 29er olympic version as my everyday wheelset. I weigh around 200 lbs and have had no problems so far (after 9 months). It will be interesting to see how long they last.
WORD. My 29er ZTRs laced to DT 240's were built by Mike Curiak and at 4months I have had no need to retrue whatsoever (I weigh 165lbs naked.) IMO, using a gifted wheelbuilder is almost as important as the components that are used in wheels. Don't cut builder corners with these rims and you will do fine. I race, train and generally put these bad boys to the test. I'm sold. They are fast. They hold air like a champ. They allow you to run scary low air pressures.:thumbsup: Even, if I have to replace these rims every year due to wear and tear I'll still be happy and will continue to buy them. To make it "country simple:" they are the fastest rims going.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.