Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at having a new rear wheel built using an Arch 29er rim. I am considering the Hope Pro 2 Trials hub. But, I can save a bunch of money by going with the Stans house brand hub, which is now available in a SS version.

Does anyone have experience with this hub, and can provide a review? Specifically, I'd like to hear about how quick it engages (one of the advantages of the Hope Trials hub) and how loud it is.

Also, I can't find a pic of the SS hub, and am interested in seeing the freehub setup. Does anyone know where I can find a pic, or can post one?

Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
539 Posts
looking at a new wheel set over the winter so i too would be interested. the geared hubs and what have you are american classic if i recall correctly. so is it safe to assume that the SS is also an american classic? and if so its a light hub but doesn't have super great engagement

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have a set of Stan's hubs/Crest rims. Very nice for the price, and pretty light as well. I think the engagement is more like a geared hub, but it still works well. It was only a $10 upgrade over their normal ZTR hubs.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the ZTR SS disc hub use a threaded freehub body and external lockring (like in the first link from the previous poster) or a smooth, splined freehub body, spacers and internal lockring (like Chris King, Hope, Shimano, etc.)?

One of the reasons I'm replacing my current rear wheel is that it has a threaded freehub body, and the threads have been damaged by the crappy, stamped-steel cog. So, now I have to use spacers to keep the external lockring on the threads that aren't damaged. Yes, this could have been avoided by using a better cog, I could just replace the freehub body, etc. But, it's a good excuse to upgrade, and get away from the threaded freehub body.

Any chance you could post a pic of your hub?

Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
nothing to see here
3,279 Posts
30 points of engagement sounds ok to me, when I've currently got 24poe.

·
beautiful jackass
637 Posts
It seems like there are a fair number of people on these boards who have reported problems with the freehub blowing out on the ZTR hubs. This is the primary reason I haven't fully committed to this wheel set but the single speed version may be a better performer. I'm torn between Arch/ZTR and the Spinergy Xyclone.

I would buy the ZTR wheel set if I was more confident in the build quality and I'd go just as easily to the Xyclone if I knew it was comparably easy enough to run tubeless.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've had terrible experience with Spinergy wheels. Freehub body just sh*t the bed and getting a replacement was almost impossible. I've had minimal experience with the ZTR rear disc hub and had no issues.

·
beautiful jackass
637 Posts
I wound up going with the Flow / ZTR combo with the free hub. Though it looks like they've re-branded the hubs with the Stan's name instead of ZTR. Mine says Stan's 3.30 (3 pawl, 30 point engagement).

The literature inside the catalog I got doesn't say anything about redesigned internals - just the new name.

The hub is louder than I thought it'd be, but I'm sure some of that will be dampened with tires and the spacers and cog.

I'll see how it goes.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
uknathank said:
here's the hub and some more information.

http://www.justridingalong.com//shop.php?product=7378&jras=c77aeppishibjrt740asc0o4a2

I'm also curious to get some reviews. I've been using an American Classics SS hub but am tempted by the ZTR for my next build. I'm happy with the engagement of the AC, and really impressed by how smooth it rolls. If the ZTR comes close in either category I'd go for it.
This site does not show the Singlespeed hub, just their standard 9 speed hub. I've looked around and have yet to find any real description or photo of Stan's SS hub. If nthasingletrackmastah is correct, which I think he is, than it is a KT SS hub, most likely it's the 504gm KT-Y03R, since it's made for 135mm and the other is for 110/120mm. The KT-Y03R looks like it was modeled after the 4 bearing NovaTec, which is a heavy duty (emphasis on heavy) and only as good as the 4 cartridge bearings used.

·
Registered
253 Posts
thanks -- you seem to be right, judging by the length of the cassette body. didn't notice that.

hopefully someone will post some photos and a ride report soon

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
aka brad said:
This site does not show the Singlespeed hub, just their standard 9 speed hub. I've looked around and have yet to find any real description or photo of Stan's SS hub. If nthasingletrackmastah is correct, which I think he is, than it is a KT SS hub, most likely it's the 504gm KT-Y03R, since it's made for 135mm and the other is for 110/120mm. The KT-Y03R looks like it was modeled after the 4 bearing NovaTec, which is a heavy duty (emphasis on heavy) and only as good as the 4 cartridge bearings used.
No, it looks NOTHING like the Y03 hub. It looks just like the regular ZTR disc hub, but with a shorter freehub (0.951" or 24.1mm wide/long/whatever).

I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.

I have no ride info on this hub. It will be built within the next week, hopefully, and might be on a few rides in January.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
AndrewTO said:
No, it looks NOTHING like the Y03 hub. It looks just like the regular ZTR disc hub, but with a shorter freehub (0.951" or 24.1mm wide/long/whatever).

I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.

I have no ride info on this hub. It will be built within the next week, hopefully, and might be on a few rides in January.
I probably should have done this before. Since the ZTR is almost identical to the WTB laser light, I'm guessing the single speed looks like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
aka brad said:
I probably should have done this before. Since the ZTR is almost identical to the WTB laser light, I'm guessing the single speed looks like this.
It looks like a ZTR hub, but with a shorter freehub section. They still have round, silver ends on the axles, like their "big brother".

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Many apologies for the wait everyone. I've been overcoming a file transfer issue which is now resolved.

Pics, as promised, of the 256 gram (with aluminum lockring) ZTR singlespeed disc hub .....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts