Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
What's up Dut?
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience on these rims? Particularly the ZTR Olympic Disc wheels. I need some good hard facts.... good and the bad (ie, durability issues, etc). Please give it to me or direct me to some recent past threads, please! I only weigh 150 lbs, so rider weight should not be too much of a problem.

Thanks in advance!

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
I'll let everyone chime in but if I can brag a little, we had 5 of the 10 podium spots at the Mont St Anne World Cup this past weekend on ZTR wheels. 3rd and 5th for the elite women and 1st, 2nd, and 5th for elite men. That came after the Mt Snow national where we had 1st women and 1st & 2nd for the men in the pro xc.

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
Mike - what were these winning wheels built up with? i.e. what hubs, spokes, nips, and were they the Olympic rims?

I'd like to build up a set that rivals the Bontrager Race X Lites and DT Swiss 1540 for weight and performance.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'd also like to know how long you can expect such a rim to hold up on your racers' bikes...I know a couple folk who use 'em to race but think their durability is not worthy of daily use.

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
Rich A. said:
Mike - what were these winning wheels built up with? i.e. what hubs, spokes, nips, and were they the Olympic rims?

I'd like to build up a set that rivals the Bontrager Race X Lites and DT Swiss 1540 for weight and performance.
All of the podium sets were done with American Classic hubs, silver 1.8/1.5 double butted spokes, alloy nipples, taped air tight with the yellow spoke tape and Olympic valve stems. All were using standard tires sealed up tubeless with our sealant. The rims used are the same basic design as the ZTR 355 with a couple little changes to make them lighter. Have to prove stuff out in racing. Sorry I can't share the actual weight.

Durability has not been an issue even with the lighter version of the rims. One of the racers has been training on a set since last October and has over 2000 dirt miles on them without issue and he is in the 170lb range and very fast on the descents.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I'd also like to know how long you can expect such a rim to hold up on your racers' bikes...I know a couple folk who use 'em to race but think their durability is not worthy of daily use.
FWIW I've been racing (expert) and training on them, everyday use for two seasons wo/ problem. I think, with any wheel, a good build with high, even tension, is key. I've only had to touch them up w/ a spoke wrench.

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
I've been riding ZTR 355s on my SS for 6 months now. I ride 3-4 times a week and weigh in at about 185 w/o gear. The wheels were built by Larry @ MHC using Hadley SS hubs, alloy nips, and spokes of Larry's choosing (?).

So far, I've had no problems. I recently checked for true and had to make no adjustments.

As far as tires, I'm running a non-UST Spider in the front and a Crow in the back with yellow tape, no tubes, and sealant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.