Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having issues with Stans ZTR rear hub using XX1. My freehub has broken twice in 6 months? Stand replaced a shot bearing, and now they are replacing the whole freehub body, and they want me to send in the entire wheel for inspection.

My LBS is telling me that the hub cannot withstand the additional torque of the 42 tooth cog on the XX1 cassette.

What hubs are working best with XX1?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,242 Posts
I don't have XX1, but having worked on hubs for a couple decades now I'd put my money on the 18T Star Ratchet in DT hubs as being about as bombproof a design as you're going to get in a XX1 compatible system (because King doesn't and likely wont make a XX1 system).

Stans hubs have 3 points of contact when engaged. DT has 18 points of contact. The 36T Star Ratchets would probably hold up too, but the 18T are stronger.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Besides the cassette wanting to stick to the driver when trying to remove it, I haven't had any issues with Stan's XD driver. Also, unless your running some really, really small chain rings, the 42T cassette won't produce any more torque than what you'd get running a traditional 2x/3x setup with a low granny gear.

I'd let Stan's take a look at if before worrying too much about replacing it. You may have just gotten a lemon. That said, I've also had good luck with my Hope hubs using the XD driver. They are a bit heavier than Stan's, but nicely built, well supported and reasonably priced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.