Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took my rear wheel in to get a Stans ZTR flow rim laced up after tanking the last rim into a curb with 2.1 tire at 25 psi. :mad:

From reading of guys riding DH on them, they seem to be just as strong as the Mavic rims for the same riding category. Difference being that the ZTR is wider than a 721, but also weighs something like 100 grams less. 470 verified grams for the ZTR.

http://www.sicklines.com/weights/rims/

I am going to be running mine with presta valves instead of tubeless.

Anyone else on these rims? How are you liking them?

·
I dig trails!
5,604 Posts
Flows are great, but ultimately, they are going to be as strong as a typical 470g rim. Advantages are the width and that some ride with that rim strength without issue (light weight rider, smooth rider, forgiving terrain).

Gram for gram, Mavics are most likely stronger, they just lack the width at that weight.

For a few grams more (20-50) you can surely find stronger rims if you are not looking to go tubeless.

P

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I'm not derailing the thread, but for another good rim that fits this category, try the Syncros DS32. I'm no featherweight at 240lbs unloaded. These rime take a beating off 2-3' drops and rocky trails with a lot of tombstones. There's not a single dent or bend in the rim. I too mounted them up to Hadley's and love the combo. Ttyl, Fahn

·
Registered
579 Posts
Flows & Hadley's here too. I have been running them tubeless for almost a year now with zero issues. Super easy to set up tubeless and I'm able to run 28 lbs compared to 35 - 40 lbs w/ tubes. Fully loaded, I'm between 200 & 205 and they've managed to stay perfectly true since I installed them.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I've been hammering my Flows with fairly heavy duty tread on my Banshee Rune for a couple of months now and had to true them twice and rear wheel gets "out of dish" about as easy as my Syncros DP25's they replaced. I am about 220-225lb geared and not the smoothest of riders, but do I agree with Mr. P, in that it still is going to ride and last like a 470g wheel. If these don't last for me for AM/light FR'ing, I am going to have to go with stronger rims like Mavic 721's.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I've had mine since late April laced to a Hope Pro 2 rear QR and Specialized front.

They're still true and I ride pretty hard, 200lb~ ish with gear, lots of rocks around here, I've put a slight dink in the rear (very slight) when I got a snakebite a while ago, other than that I'm very pleased.

I'm not running tubeless, can't be bothered and don't get punctures too often.

·
Registered
237 Posts
For a wide light rim they are quite good. They have their compromises like all rims do. The lack of eyelets and the correspondingly low spoke tension you must run is one issue with them. Someone mentioned Syncros rims but they are not welded and that is their compromise. Mavic 721s are heavier but IMHO stronger because of it, but they are not as wide. So that is their compromise. No rim is perfect, but the Flows are definitely good and one of the better options out there. Some of the rims in the Sun catalog are nice but they tend to be on the heavy side.

Sadly no one makes a wide, light, strong, eyeleted tubeless compatible rim that is bulletproof.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My Flow won't run a tubeless setup without burping or completely blowing the tire off of the rim and I've tried three different tires that worked fine on my Rhythym Pro wheels.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Just need to put this to bed.

A mavic 721 is 28mm externally, 21mm internally.

A Stans Flow is 28mm externally, 22.6mm internally.

People talking about 'wider' are talking about a difference of 1.6mm, hardly night and day. I've built a few, quality seems fine, one needed filing as the weld was messy and interfered with the strip. Tensioning non eyelet rims is a pain.

For £90 (UK price) I'm not overly impressed, between the alloy and lack of material I wouldn't expect them to do more than 2 years under a rider using them as intended. Fine but Mavics will keep going until the eyelets pull out and that takes ages.

For the sake of 30g I'd take a DT EX500 or Superstar AM-490 over a Flow. As wide, eyeletted and about 500g a rim. DT have fixed their old bugbear of producing cheese rims and EX500s should last fine, they do tubeless as well. AM-490 rims are wider than flows (30/23), but are not welded. However the quality is good so that doesn't really matter.

·
Custom User Title
371 Posts
Fix the Spade said:
...one needed filing as the weld was messy and interfered with the strip. Tensioning non eyelet rims is a pain.
And that is exactly why I will no longer consider Stans rims for my wheel builds. Had this crap on 2 sets of rims by Stans. Finally went with DT Swiss and couldn't be happier.
I also have a set of wheels that use the much cheaper Transition Revolution rims and their welds are by far superior to the Stans. The Revs are excellent rims for the money BTW, very strong but heavy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Re

I think they are a great rim for the price, weight, width, and strength.
I think there are better rims available, but they still are great.
I have white ZTR Flows on a CK Front Hub and DMR Revolver Rear Hub and DT Swiss spokes. Total cost was just over $400 with a small hookup from a friend. Roughly 1950g for total weight without tires.
They hold up to most stuff that i ride and i ride fairly fast and aggressive and in all kind of terrain. I am 6ft 4in, and 225lbs. I put some Maxxis Ardent 2.6's 3C on them and rode Northstar this year and got a pretty decent size dent in the rear but it still holds air and is true. You can definitely find stronger rims, but not nearly as light. 1950g, light, strong, inexpensive, wide, and they have been great.
Just my two cents.

·
Registered
184 Posts
dr13zehn said:
I also have a set of wheels that use the much cheaper Transition Revolution rims and their welds are by far superior to the Stans. The Revs are excellent rims for the money BTW, very strong but heavy.
I have the Transition Rev AM version and they did not even last 5 months before spokes blew out in the rear, etc. But for $225 or so they were ok i guess. If you are talking about the super heavy Trans Rev than yeah, they are way stronger than the Flows, but i would say the Flows are way better than the Trans Rev AM version.

·
Custom User Title
371 Posts
xnofriendsx said:
I have the Transition Rev AM version and they did not even last 5 months before spokes blew out in the rear, etc. But for $225 or so they were ok i guess. If you are talking about the super heavy Trans Rev than yeah, they are way stronger than the Flows, but i would say the Flows are way better than the Trans Rev AM version.
Yeah, I have the bigger Rev 32s. I also don't have them on Transitions hubs and spokes, I have them laced to a custom setup.
I just have zero love for Stans stuff after a whole painful ordeal with them and 4 of their rims.

They may work well for others (or most) but I just cannot accept such crappy welds on rims that really are too expensive for that to be a problem. Especially when a truly much cheaper rim like the Revs have such nice and smooth welds or other higher quality rims cost pretty much the same.
Plus from my personal experience it seems like Stan himself is a cocky SOB. :madmax:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I ran a set of 29er Flows laced to Hope hubs. Perfect combo and they held up to a lot of abuse. Tubeless set up was easier than my Crossmax wheelset. Put the tape over the eyelets, stretch the strip over the tape and I used a floor pump to set the bead.

I now have the same hubs laced to some 823s. Not because I lost faith in the Flows, but because I lost faith in the whole 29er thing. I got the 823s for about the same price as one Flow rim. If this wheelset feels too heavy I am definitely going back to the Flows in the 26er variety.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
This thread topic seems to pop up every few months (actual strength of Stan's Flow). More-so in the 29er forum, but I will leave that for their forum since the OP is comparing the EX721 to the Flow.

Fix the Spade nailed it. Flow rims are not great on the quality control. I am still amazed that just by slapping the Stan's name on it people pay $90 for a mid-quality Sun rim. Sun rims have never, IME, been able to bring high quality to the table. DT and Mavic have much better QC and craftsmanship on their competing rims.

On the 721 vs. Flow for strength, durability, and ease/lack of maintenance I am going to crown the 721 winner by a long shot. After spending a season on Flows and a combined time over 4 seasons on 521, 121, and 721 rims from mavic I can safely say that my mavic have been much more durable. They don't get knocked out of true easily. I also find the stiffer alloy resists rim dings a lot better than the soft alloy Sun uses. The only downside of the 721 is that it is heavier. IMO it is better to tote an extra 100g than to deal with wheel issues all season ;)

After a season on Flow rims I happily purchased another set of Mavic 721s for this season. I have yet to have to true them from their initial build. Money well spent :D

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AL29er said:
This thread topic seems to pop up every few months (actual strength of Stan's Flow). More-so in the 29er forum, but I will leave that for their forum since the OP is comparing the EX721 to the Flow.

Fix the Spade nailed it. Flow rims are not great on the quality control. I am still amazed that just by slapping the Stan's name on it people pay $90 for a mid-quality Sun rim. Sun rims have never, IME, been able to bring high quality to the table. DT and Mavic have much better QC and craftsmanship on their competing rims.

On the 721 vs. Flow for strength, durability, and ease/lack of maintenance I am going to crown the 721 winner by a long shot. After spending a season on Flows and a combined time over 4 seasons on 521, 121, and 721 rims from mavic I can safely say that my mavic have been much more durable. They don't get knocked out of true easily. I also find the stiffer alloy resists rim dings a lot better than the soft alloy Sun uses. The only downside of the 721 is that it is heavier. IMO it is better to tote an extra 100g than to deal with wheel issues all season ;)

After a season on Flow rims I happily purchased another set of Mavic 721s for this season. I have yet to have to true them from their initial build. Money well spent :D
If they don't hold up, it is 721 for sure.

On the other hand, I have one of the best wheel builders out there for DH and FR. He's been smashing his on the DH rig with no issues.

I will consider it worth the money if the Stans last one year or more. Really light.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Amongst our crew we have some running Flows. We have found that aggressive riders pull the tires off these rims if they're run without a rim strip or BMX tube. This is using mainly Schwalbe tires which work very well tubeless on other rims such as 823's and EX500/5.1's.

I mainly run EX500/5.1's using DT's rim strips with very good results and bomb-proof tire retention using Schwalbe Fat Alberts/Muddy Marys/Wicked Wills/Big Bettys.

I wouldn't really steer anyone away from Flows, just note that you will need some sort of a rim strip if you push them hard.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Fix the Spade said:
People talking about 'wider' are talking about a difference of 1.6mm, hardly night and day.
1.6mm inside width on a rim is quite frigging lot. Stan's also has shorter sidewalls, which does make a very noticeable difference. It is almost like going a size up in tires.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts