Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a big difference other than weight? Does the extra 195grm weight difference merit the price? If I'm only going to be doing cx and occasional technical trails, will the gold race hold up? I weigh 145lbs and ride a Trek EX7. I ride cautious-aggressive (if that makes any sense). I definitely will not be doing major downhills with this bike.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
354 Posts
From my understanding the Race gold is a race day only wheel-set, meaning it will be flexy and not as durable as the crests. If it were me, I would just get the Crests to save your wallet and just in-case you do more difficult trails.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The race gold will probably only last a season. It's definitely not a rim for everyday use. Crest's have generally held up pretty well, but they really aren't that much more durable or stiffer.
If you're concerned with durability, go with the arch.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Have a team member who is 145 lbs who rides Race Gold year round now and will be entering his 3rd year on them about June. That's all I know. He never even mentions them as to durability or out-of-true.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Been running the Race Gold for 2.5 years without problems.
I'm 140lbs and easy on wheels but they have been durable and trouble free for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I dont use those wheels, but at your weight and the riding you described they should work fine for a good while. Rider weight has a huge effect on durability of ultralight wheels. Might not hold up well if you crash on them, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts