Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new set of Stan's NoTubes ZTR 355 rims. I bought rim strips and also just valve stems. I am using STan's thin yellow tape. According to Stan, I should only have to use the yellow tape and the valve stem (no rim strip). This saves 38g a tire and makes mounting tires way easier (easier to get bead into drop channel).

My front taped up and sealed up well. My rear tire won't seal. The valve stem is leaking. I have watched Stan's video on how to tape a wheel several times. I can't make out what he does when he goes through the tape with the rat tail file. Am I supposed to let the valve stem stopper seat against yellow tape or should I cut the yellow tape hole big enough to allow the valve stem stopper seat against the actual aluminum rim?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Robo

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
Filing the hole/tape is just to remove the little "flaps" from cutting an X in the tape covering the valve hole. The base of the valve should seat against the yellow tape. The nut on the valve only needs to be finger tight to make a good seal. Make sure you press the tape down by inflating the tire with a tube or just the rim strip, don't need sealant at this point. Let it sit a few minutes then mount your tire as you normally would. Apply soapy water to the sidewalls and also to the base of the valve, going for just the soapy bubbles here to see if that is in fact where the leak is. If you see bubbles forming at the base of the valve, give your tape a quick check to make sure you didn't accidentally puncture it with a tire lever or anything of that nature.

Hope that helps. Post back if you're still having trouble.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.

Mike B. from NoTubes.com,

Thanks for replying so quick. It's great to see you in the mix on the forums. Nothing better than getting the question answered from so close to the source.

I think my interface of yellow tape and valve stem base is bad (operator error on my part). I think I am going to run a few weeks with the Olympic Rim Strips (Hopefully, I won't lose any races for that 38g a wheel - Just Kidding). After my conservative trial is over with the rim strips, I'll try to retape the rim and cut the hole better next time.

What is your opinion on whether Expert XC racers should go tubeless with no sealant or tubeless with sealant? My set up is ZTR355's with Panaracer FireXC Pro's UST no sealant at the moment.

Also, I find these tires to be an absolute aligator wrestling match to get on. I am following the video instructions to keep the beads in the drop channel. Do you also find this to be a tough tire to mount or is my technique not good yet?

Robo

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
UST tires are going to be pretty difficult to mount with the rim strips installed on our rims. They are much easier to install with just the yellow tape. When mounting, make sure you've got the beads down in the deepest portion of the drop channel or they will tighten up quickly. I think Shiggy has posted a link a few times to a page showing good technique. A little practice will get you there.

As far as sealant goes, since you are using tubeless tires, it is not required but I would run it anyway. You probably don't have the luxury of having a second set of wheels & mechanic waiting in the tech zone for you in the event of a major issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts