Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stans with Cinders?...

606 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Ricko 
#1 ·
I have a set of Panaracer Cinders (2.25) on my ride with low miles and was thinking of trying Stans. The No-Tubes website lists Panaracer tires on their "not recomended" list but I was thinking that Cinder is a sturdier tire then say...an XC Pro and **might** work.

Just wondering if anyone tried it and what your results were. BTW, I'm using XM321 rims.

#2 ·
NO you cannot or should not use Panaracer tires....

with Stans No Tubes. It is NOT the rubber compound of the tire that causes the problem. It is the Aramid bead that Panaracer uses that causes issues. Aramid, while a strong material, stretches over time. Panaracer tires actually get easier to get on and off the rim as they get older. On a tubeless set up you don NOT want the bead to stretch or get easier to get off the rim! Kevlar does not stretch nor does steel (obviously). Bottom line is the Aramid bead, because it stretches, could pop off the rim at an inoportune moment. Stans knows what they are talking about! Go with what they recommend! They know their product and what works and what doesn't!!! Another issue that you need to be aware of, some tire rubber compounds do not react well with Stans sealant. There are a couple of tire brands out there that people have experienced the sealant causing bubles in the side walls of their tires. Apparently the sealant reacts adversly with the rubber and this causes the tire side wall to start to delaminate from the casing. I don't recall the brands that have had the problem. But a search here should return some results. Anyway, go with what Stans recommends, they know their product and they know what works with it and what doesn't even though you may not know the reasons!

Good Dirt

#3 ·
Squash said:
There are a couple of tire brands out there that people have experienced the sealant causing bubles in the side walls of their tires. Apparently the sealant reacts adversly with the rubber and this causes the tire side wall to start to delaminate from the casing. I don't recall the brands that have had the problem.
Kenda Nevegal is known by some to have the "bubble" problem with Stan's sealant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.