Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a wheel set, both wheel sets from both Stans and BWW are talked about with-in this forum but either the thread will be pro Stans or pro BWW. I live in desert type riding conditions and tubeless is priority # 1 which leans me more towards Stans. Within the threads in this forum I have not seen much on tubeless set ups for BWW. The wheel-sets from BWW offers wider range of choices, colors ect and at really a better price point you get free disc rotors for the same set up from Stans w/o rotors. BWW offer better wheel builds, there #1 priority is to build great wheel-sets. Stans prides themselves on Tubeless and weight reduction wheel sets and not so much on just building a great wheel-set. I like both wheel builders both excel at what they do but……..

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
So all you are going to get here is pro-Stan or pro-BWW drum-banging. I'd suggest this - find out exactly what's needed to make both wheelsets tubeless and decide for yourself which tubeless setup is best. Then get a sheet of paper and make columns of all the possible attributes - cost, color, tubeless, nipples, spokes, hubs, weight, warranty, perceived build quality etcetera etcetera. Give a checkmark to your fave in each category. Total up and buy. Simple eh?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think the Stan's wheels are a bit nicer build wise than the BWW wheels. I got a set of wheels from BWW and they had 2 completely loose spokes in the rear. I had to loosen all the spokes and retension the wheel to get it right.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
i was wondering the same thing a while back. in the end i went for the BWW wheels and i plan to go ghetto tubeless on it.

the BWW were a little cheaper and seemed to hold up better to abuse. which is why i chose them.

ordered the wheels a few days ago so i got some waiting time before i can actually give some real input.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've had a set of BWW wheels with PureXCR hubs and Mavic 719 rims since January. They have been nothing but perfect running tubeless with Stan's strips originally with Hutch Pythons and right now with two Kenda Klaw front tires. These are 29er wheels and they weighed in at 1830g. They seem to take a beating and come back for more. I like having two sets of wheels; one heavy duty and one lighter. My plan was to get a less expensive set for the heavy's but now I've decided to try a set of Stan's because of their lighter rims for the lightweights. I should have them soon.

Stan's wheels are lighter but the Mavic rims are tough as nails. I think both hubs are pretty comparable, so you can't go wrong either way.

BWW doesn't build with Stan's rims but their new 26 inch rims are just as light and so should be a great deal.

Like I said, you can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Linga115 said:
i was wondering the same thing a while back. in the end i went for the BWW wheels and i plan to go ghetto tubeless on it.

the BWW were a little cheaper and seemed to hold up better to abuse. which is why i chose them.

ordered the wheels a few days ago so i got some waiting time before i can actually give some real input.
Before you ride just wiggle all you spokes and if you find a loose one or two take it to a shop and have it fixed...and no you just can't tighten them. It will throw your wheel out of true and out of round.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
formulaone33 said:
Before you ride just wiggle all you spokes and if you find a loose one or two take it to a shop and have it fixed...and no you just can't tighten them. It will throw your wheel out of true and out of round.
i got a spoke tension meter... ill use that just for shits and giggles.

im sure BWW would have warrantied that or something.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It wasn't worth the trouble. I was a bike mech and shop manager for years so I just loosened everything and brought it all up to tension evenly. Its been rock solid for months now.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ride tubeless 100% of the time great stuff; the bottom line really is how there house rims (XRC) work tubeless. I think both of there hubs are equals but Stans rims leads with the selection of wieght and different widths and strenght, so BWW is pulling me in due to there advertised quality wheel builds and selection of colored rims???

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sweeney said:
I've had a set of BWW wheels with PureXCR hubs and Mavic 719 rims since January. They have been nothing but perfect running tubeless with Stan's strips originally with Hutch Pythons and right now with two Kenda Klaw front tires. These are 29er wheels and they weighed in at 1830g. They seem to take a beating and come back for more. I like having two sets of wheels; one heavy duty and one lighter. My plan was to get a less expensive set for the heavy's but now I've decided to try a set of Stan's because of their lighter rims for the lightweights. I should have them soon.

Stan's wheels are lighter but the Mavic rims are tough as nails. I think both hubs are pretty comparable, so you can't go wrong either way.

BWW doesn't build with Stan's rims but their new 26 inch rims are just as light and so should be a great deal.

Like I said, you can't go wrong either way.
I was thinking about doing the same set up. Which spokes and nipples did you go with?
And are the hubs good quality? Are they convertible to different axle diameters?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm debating this question as well. I own a set of Stans Olympics and have also converted several other rims to Stans. One thing that strikes me is how much easier the Olympics are to get a tire to setup on than other rims. My only experience is with Stans conversions so don't know about DT or others.

This alone is making me lean towards a Stan's wheel set and his house brand hubs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts