Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a recent tubless convert, and doubt I'll ever go back to tubes. I have non-UST rims (WTB Laser-Discs) & tires (WTB Weirwolves f-2.5/r-2.3) and used the Stan's system. I've been runnin' this set-up for a few weeks now and love it! Although, I'm only running ~2 psi less, I'm definitely hitting the waterbars harder and (knock-wood) am not flatting. I'm thinking about getting a new wheelset this winter and am trying to decide whether to get UST rims or not (probably Mavic 717's vs. 819's). Stan's claims their rimstrips are actually better than a plain UST rim. Has anyone actually tried any of their burp tests? Unless the selection of tires in the 2.2 to 2.5 range radically improves I'll probably always use non-UST tires.

Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so if I wasn't clear

The question is:

Non-UST tire & Mavic 717 (non-UST) with Stan's system or
Non-UST tire & Mavic 819 with Stan's system.

Shiggy - I looked at your site, but I didn't see any real tests comparing these systems.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I'd get 819 over 717 because they are wider and will fit a 2.3 tyre better, and perhaps more durable/stronger. They also give a nice big bag when you run 2.1 tyres.

Manufacturer's like Kenda are all tooling up to produce wider UST tyres. You may like to have the advantages of a true UST rim for the future.

I run UST tyres. It got holes in it so I added some stan's to seal the holes. Plus, I have the durability and confidence you get by having stronger sidewalls and not relying on sealant to seal the bead.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have Mavic 717s with Stans Rim Strips. I have run the system for about a year.
It works well. I also have some 221 with rim strips and put about 1700 miles on those.
The system is great I run a Tioga 2.1 Factory Extreme XC that is a bit wider than most
2.3 tires. To change the tires you literally have to run your finger between the rim strip and
the tire. It is completely glued to the tire. I accidently ran 20 psi due to thorns at over 30 mph and did not have any problem. Actually I liked the ride so much I am going to drop my standard pressure. If your going to run true 2.5s All Mountain has a good point about the 819s being wider. My 2.1 Tioga is as wide as my Brothers WTB Motoraptor. Check Shiggys site but I think the Motoraptors are smaller than the stated size.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
marinrider said:
The question is:

Non-UST tire & Mavic 717 (non-UST) with Stan's system or
Non-UST tire & Mavic 819 with Stan's system.

Shiggy - I looked at your site, but I didn't see any real tests comparing these systems.

Thanks again!
IMO neither. I do not recommend using any standard tire and/or rim without an inner tube.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
bikenut316 said:
Is a Stans rim(355s) and UST tire equivilant to a UST rim(819s) and UST tire as far as reliability?
The bead of the Stan's rims are a different shape than UST rims. I would not trust UST tires to lock and seal correctly on the Stan's rim.

<-- Stan's --------------------------- UST -->​

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
The real benefits of UST are when you have both a UST tire mounted on a UST rim.

In general Stans is lighter and UST is more reliable. I guess it depends on what is more important to you. Weight or trail worthiness?

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
I've never had any problems running my Mavic X517 rims converted to Stans, running a standard Maxxis tire. It's very light, rolls well, and handles well. The only drawback is the potential for cutting the sidewall of a very light tire, but you run that risk anyway even with tubes, so it's not that different. I had good luck with it, anyway.

·
Registered
920 Posts
When I first went tubeless, I used Stan's with regular tires.

I have since upgraded to a UST wheelset (Mavic Crossmax Enduro's) and am in the process of going to UST tires as well.

I blew out the sidewall on my rear (converted) tire, and figured I would give a UST tire a shot. Mounted it by hand and inflated it with a floor pump. I can now run a much lower PSI (28 - 32) as compared to the converted (35 - 40), and the sidewall doesn't bulge out anymore. Traction is also better as the contact patch is now as it was designed to be rather than flattened out too much.

As soon as my front wears out I will be switching it to a UST tire as well.

BTW, I am about 210 in riding gear. If you're a light weight, you may be fine on converted tires.

·
Giant Anthem
716 Posts
Stans

Hardtailforever said:
I've never had any problems running my Mavic X517 rims converted to Stans, running a standard Maxxis tire. It's very light, rolls well, and handles well. The only drawback is the potential for cutting the sidewall of a very light tire, but you run that risk anyway even with tubes, so it's not that different. I had good luck with it, anyway.
Can you still get a punctur with stans? Is the tire glued to the wheel, and hard to get off?:confused:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Another question

I just watched several of the movies on Stan's website and had a question. He says using standard tires on a Mavic UST rim is not ideal, but if you use his rim strips on a ust rim (crossmax etc.) then it works like a dream.

Has anyone tried this set up? I have Kenda 2.35's and am having a terrible time getting them to seal up and stay sealed. If I use the rim strip with a crossmax Xl will this help?

Helpplease!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.