Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a bike that has a stans tubeless setup. I am in the process of "trying" to change tires. I mounted maxxis 2.35 wire super tacky DHF and DHR and no matter what I do cant get it to inflate. I feel like smashing the rim into a million peices at this point. Ive been at it for nearly two hours. My fingers are killing me from messing with the wire.

Other than throwing a tube in there are there any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Are you using a floor pump? If you have access to one, try using an air compressor. Some tire/rim combos work well with a floor pump, but for the most part it's always easier to use the compressor. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Check the notubes website, watch the mounting video. Check his list of rims and see if he's got any special instructions for your rim. No matter what you try there will inevitably be some tires that won't seal. I just went through that again recently. Make sure those beads are nice and soapy, and in those cases where a compressor isn't enough, I've always had luck with my last resort- a quick blast with a co2 cartridge, It's not recommended by stan and can blow in your face if the bead is a little kinked. A virgin tire with porous walls will leak the air out before the beads fully seat. I put some sealant in first and give a quick shot of the co2, the beads should pop in place, then immediately shake and spin the wheel all around and try to seal in the air before it all escapes. Follow up quickly with a floor pump and inflate to 35 or 40 psi, keep spinning and shaking around until the tire seals up. It's a frantic, cursing, sweating procedure and you may go through several cartridges before you're successful, I've gone through as many a four for each tire sometimes. The second day you may need to add a little more sealant through the removable core and re-inflating a couple times the next few days. Once a new tire has built up a "skin" on the inside it will be relatively trouble free. Good luck!

·
Registered
817 Posts
It also can help to first install a tube in the tire and inflate it and let it set for a while. This helps to shape the tire so it installs more easily when it is tubeless. But for me, the main problem is usually getting enough air into the tire fast enough to "pop" the bead onto the rim; that's where the compressor or something similar (I use a tank I can fill with my slow compressor so I can release the air quickly) really helps. I've never tried the CO2 cartridge technique, but I can see why that would work. And it helps to "pat" the tire when you are shooting air in there to help push it down on the rim - that's like what the strap or tied-on inner tube would do. I've never tried those, either, but they make sense to me, too.

Good luck! Sometimes it can be really frustrating to set up a tire, but once it's done, tubeless is great!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
943 Posts
are you using the sealant??

it works for me with the floor pump if i use sealant. if youre having trouble, you can coat the whole way around the tire bead with some sealant by dipping some paper towel in it and dragging it all way around

once you get it the first time it'l be easy from there on out

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I have mounted minions dhf and dhr but I had a lot of sealant leaking out at the bead until it sealed. I've cussed many times over tubeless, but I would rather cuss in the garage than on the trail.

Like others said, try setting the tire up with a tube first to give the tire form. Sometimes those maxxis DH tires are so stiff the air can't push the bead against the rim. Unless you have access to a HIGH powered compressor, you'll not be able to overcome the stiffness of the tire to set the bead. Another trick is to add a little extra sealant around the bead after the tire is mounted. This can be messy, so be warned, but it has helped me in the past. If you have one spot on the bead that's leaking bad, try to get the sealant to pool up in that area by angling the wheel; this may lead to a mess and a good lose of sealant, but this has helped me before. Don't be stingy with the sealant, it can be only way to set up some tires. Even with these tactics, I've failed with maxxis DH tires before, but I've had more success with minions than failures.

I now run mavic rims. It's assbackwards, but mavic's ust design is better than stans. I have a WAY easier time with non ust tires now. You would assume stans would be the best. No knocking on stans, just saying mavic has made life much easier for me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice!!!
I got them mounted and just got done riding. The floor pump is what was screwing me up. I used a co2 cartridge and it pumped right up. Had a little issue with getting the rear sealed, after shaking, spinning and laying it down for an hour it sealed.

·
Registered
851 Posts
1 trick I learned that after being as mad as you many times: do NOT put the sealant in right away. Use a tube to inflate and seat both beads of the tire, then remove the tube by only de-beading 1 side. Add your sealant and inflate.

You didnt say what type of rims you are using, but this will only really work on UST rims as they have a bead lock feature.

While I will never go back to tubes, and love tubeless, it is still difficult to initially seat the tires sometimes. I have the advantage of using a compressor, and I have learned that most the time the tire will not initally seat to form the airtight chamber with anything less than the max pressure my compressor will go up to - 150psi. Anything less just doesnt push enough air in to get that initial movement of the tire from the center channel out towards the bead to form the airtight seal. Then it usually takes about 60psi in the tire to get the bead to pop all the way around.

So, all you guys who are able to inflate your tires with just a floor pump - I salute you as I probably wouldnt event have tried tubeless if I didnt have a compressor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.