Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running this combination (Mutano 2.4 up front and Python 2.0 in the back) for the past few weeks since my Stans treated Mutano 2.4 in the back busted a sidewall landing a cross up. I have to say, I feel much more secure that there is a less likely chance of a sidewall tear with a tubed (think sidewall) tire when landing a jump... Plus, I only have to carry one tube and a patch kit during a ride...

·
Registered
245 Posts
mechmann_mtb said:
since i only pinch flat on the rear that option seems counter productive. each to his own. :)
I would have to agree here. I think I've only witnessed one pinch flat in the front. I'd recommend to go back to tubeless on the rear, but this time, get a UST tire. I, and several riding buddies, run Stan's converted rims with UST tires without any problems. The Conti Vertical Pro UST tire is a great 2.3 UST tire.

·
formerly Giantxc
649 Posts
BrandonJ said:
I'd recommend to go back to tubeless on the rear, but this time, get a UST tire. I, and several riding buddies, run Stan's converted rims with UST tires without any problems. QUOTE]

I'd agree with this recommendation. I punctured 3 tires in 4 weeks last spring running stans with regular tires in the rear. Switched to Stans with a UST and no more punctures. Even more recently, on 2 wheels, I've started using the a Stans rim strip and UST tire but no Stans sealant. One of the two has been holding air for the last couple months. The front recently deflated, but I haven't gotten around to checking why (too busy racing on weekends over the last month).

·
Registered
245 Posts
MrXC said:
I'd agree with this recommendation. I punctured 3 tires in 4 weeks last spring running stans with regular tires in the rear. Switched to Stans with a UST and no more punctures. Even more recently, on 2 wheels, I've started using the a Stans rim strip and UST tire but no Stans sealant. One of the two has been holding air for the last couple months. The front recently deflated, but I haven't gotten around to checking why (too busy racing on weekends over the last month).
General speaking (please nobody flame me here....I'm not saying this is always true), if you are running a Stan's strip and UST tires, the tire should inflate and hold air without sealant. If sealant is required to get a Stan's strip/UST tire combo to hold air, you probably have an issue with the strip installation. That's not to say that the strip was installed wrong. There are only a few different sizes of strips and while the XC strip (for example) may fit 50 different rims, it won't fit them all exactly the same. If the strip goes all the way up under the bead lock, then you are probably fine. If the fit is just a little looser than that, then sealant may be the only difference between holding and loosing air. No matter the rim or strip, it is very easy to install them wrong. If the strip is stretched tighter on one side of the rim than another, you can have problems. If you try to get in a hurry while installing the strip, you may not get as good of a fit as you could taking your time.

Personally, I see the sealant as being a main component of any tubeless setup. If I ever break down and buy true UST rims (and of course run UST tires), I'll still be running Stan's sealant. For me, the sealant isn't a meens of getting the tire to hold air. I chose a UST tire to take care of that. For me, the sealant is a meens of protection from punctures and for me, it's done the job very well. I got a barb wire barb in my tire, pulled it out, and the tire sealed up and is still holding air many weeks and miles later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.