Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
feedback please,I'm looking for a super fast tire 2.1- max (due to tight rear triangle on my orbea 29er) I have a set of crossmarks mounted and I'm looking more speed.The crows look pretty cool as do the sm. block 8..Intended use will be 50% road 25% fireroad 25% trial.:thumbsup:

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Have you considered the WTB Nanoraptor 2.1?

Faster than a SB8, more durable and possibly even allround better rear wheel traction than either the offered options.

As a fast rear-specific tire, there's now also the WTB Vulpine.

While I think Crows are excellent for road riding, to me they're a bit overkill. Fearing quick wear, and it's already tiny-knobbed.

I should put more time on my SB8, but I am not so sure anymore they do anything better, even allrounding, than another tire. They do loo really cool though, which is why I am not selling mine.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have a set of Crows. They're ridiculously light and fast rolling but they're a handful on the trail. There is little cornering traction and I personally don't trust them on rough trails. However, if you are riding fireroads or bike paths they are outstanding.

I also have a set of Nano Raptors. They stick like velcro in dry conditions but I have yet to find a Nano that wasn't out of round. I've had 4 Nano's and they all wiggle on my rims. I have various sets of rims from skinny to wide and all the Nano's wiggle or just blow off the rim at some point. The tires almost seem too large for my rims. They are the easiset tires to install which sounds like a good thing but IS NOT.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How about a wide cyclocross tire?

For non-muddy conditions ......

Since 75% of your riding is going to be pavement or fireroad, I would suggest a wide cyclocross tire for the rear. It will roll much faster than the tires you are looking at. I use a Richey Z.E.D. (700x42) for the conditions you describe. That tire is no longer made, but pick a similar one. Mine is lightweight and rolls very fast. Its great on the gravel/loose stuff over hard that is on fire roads. I put a wider mtn tire on the front. If its not too rocky, I like the Jones XR - its narrow and fast; go to something bigger (Nanorapter) if the area has lots of roots and rocks.

By the way I ride the Crow in the rear, but not for dried out fireroads. It does not do well when there is a loose layer of dry, sandy gravel over hard pack -- too much slippage. The Kenda Karma or the Bonti DryX (its got a new name now) would give you a little more traction and still be pretty fast.

I also ride the Crossmarks. They are a good tough tire and not slow. But, I would not call them fast. They also pack-in if it gets muddy.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've been using the SB8 all summer and it been a great tubless tire. Rolls fast and handles fine rocks. Suffers when its wet and on rocky climbs it slips unless you weight the rear wheel. I been happy with there performance overall. My weighed around 530grms. My all around tire the specialized fast track pro. it a really good tire. similar to the nano but better.

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update,I got my hands on a sm. block 8 yesterday,I mounted it on the rear,croosmark ft....really like the tire,fast and stable for road to trail use,I also picked up a wheelset from a friend with a new set of fast tracks mounted(killer deal).So I may put them to the test on my other bike.
The price of the R.R. and crows (although I can still see myself springing for them one of these days) may slow my interest as the sm. blocks seem like a pretty ride.
On my road only super fast wheels I mounted the new conti super light contacts 700x43,anyone looking for a very fast and light tire I recomend these,cheaper than the schwalbe supremes and just as fast,qbp has them in stock.

·
Registered
173 Posts
right now I have a racing ralph 2.25 in the front with a sb8 in the back, the R.R. while being a 2.25 looks no wider than the sb8 but it does have more volume, its working out great on the front and I have another one on the way for a back tire. They are pricey though and for reference I am running them on Velocity vxc rims.

I have been happy with the sb8 but I think the R.R. may do better in climbing traction, the sb8 wants to slip in the sandy-bumpy climbs.

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi....interesting update on the R.R., I should just go for one,the problem is they are not to had.My best friend is the nyc area rep and he cant even get me one,and qbp sold out in one day !!!
The crows look so cool,they just look fast........but the R.R.seem to be the better bang for the buck$$$$

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.